Escondido, California: Muffler Man - Joor ManThe giant, fiberglass Joor Man holds a large muffler and is dressed up seasonally. One of hundreds of similar 1960s era roadside statues.
Visitor Tips and News About Muffler Man - Joor Man
Escondido's Joor Muffler Man has been at the corner of East Valley Parkway and Juniper for over thirty years. What makes him special are the seasonal makeovers he endures. Every December, the Joor is swaddled in 50 yards of red corduroy fabric and turned into a Muffler Santa. In October, he has been known to sport a pumpkin head.
Other indignities have not been the intention of the Joor's owner. He's been shot with arrows, diapered and soiled with oozing mud by high school pranksters, and, one year, his Santa pants were set on fire.[anon., 12/01/1997]
There is a muffler man outside a muffler shop in our town. Escondido is north of San Diego, on I-15. Just drive west on Valley Parkway and look for the corner of Juniper and Valley Parkway. Our muffler man gets a Santa Claus suit at Christmas time.[ Jeff Rust, 02/05/1997]
Tipster Elizabeth Burkett adds: "What is really great about him is that he has a pencil-thin moustache and a distinctly Latino appearance. In my household we call him 'Rahoolio, the Muffler Man of Love.'"
Muffler Man - Joor Man
- 302 East Valley Parkway, Escondido, CA
- Take Valley Parkway east from I-15 to Grand Avenue and continue east to Juniper, then turn north (left) two blocks to intersection of Juniper and Valley Parkway. Grand Avenue is the eastbound one-way complement to Valley Parkway.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Grape Slide, Escondido, CA - < 1 mi.
- Mexican Food in a Big Barrel, Escondido, CA - < 1 mi.
- Queen Califia's Magical Circle Garden - Temporarily Closed, Escondido, CA - 3 mi.
- In the region: Orange Empire Railway Museum, Perris, CA - 45 mi.