Powhatan, Arkansas: Arkansas Runestone #2Another mysterious rock-scribble of questionable origin, but some suspect their Viking great-great-grandpappys.
Powhatan Courthouse Museum
- Hwy 25, Powhatan, AR
- In the Powhatan Courthouse Museum, which is in the old Powhatan Courthouse in the ghost town of Powhatan. About two miles south of US 63/412 on Hwy 25.
- T-Sa 8-5, Su 1-5 (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About Arkansas Runestone #2
I seem to recall you guys at one point had some interest in Viking runestones. Another one has turned up at the Powhattan Courthouse near Old Davidsonville, AR. It was found in the early eighties, and the exhibit is accompanied by documents giving the opinions of a couple of runestone experts who examined the carvings.
This is the second runestone I've seen in AR. The first was in the Logan County museum in Paris, AR. There is also a guy who runs a private museum in Waldron who told me he knows where there are a couple more runestones "in the wild." I'm not a big runestone believer myself. I've got the sneaking feeling that if you hold one of them up to a mirror, it will read, "Ha! Ha! From all the guys at Moose Lodge 392!"[Russell T. Johnson, 04/19/1998]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Elvis and Tiny Elvis on a Fire Truck, Portia, AR - 3 mi.
- Beatles Abbey Road in Arkansas, Walnut Ridge, AR - 9 mi.
- The Guitar Walk, Walnut Ridge, AR - 9 mi.
- In the region: Oldest American Statue Of Liberty Outside Of New York, Paragould, AR - 35 mi.