Watervliet, New York: Museum of the Big GunsHistoric firepower on display, including the infamous atomic mortar and the Gulf War bunker buster. Both were made here.
Watervliet Arsenal Museum
- 1 Buffington St., Watervliet, NY
- Watervliet Arsenal Museum. I-787 north past Albany. Exit at 23rd St (Watervliet). Left at stop light, then left at next stop light (Broadway). South on Broadway, paralleling I-787. In about one mile you will pass the Main Gate for the arsenal, which is closed. Make the next right (3rd Ave.) and then right at the South Gate. Register with guards.
- Su-Th 10-3 (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Visitor Tips and News About Museum of the Big Guns
There is an atomic cannon on display at the Watervliet Arsenel. If you want to take a photo of it, you have to be accompanied by one of the staff. It is a unique museum, housed in a building made totally of cast iron. With the elevation of alerts changing all the time, you may wish to call to see if the museum is open. It is on the grounds of the Watervleit Arsenal, an Army owned and operated facility north of Albany NY. This is the ONLY place in the country where large guns and cannons are made. The Arsenal also made the "Bunker Busters" of Desert Storm fame. This is a great museum, with a variety of "arms" going back to the Civil War.[Steven LJ Russo, 02/26/2005]
There is an atomic cannon at Watervliet Arsenal, Watervliet, NY. The reason it is there? This is the place where they all were manufactured. Watervliet Arsenal is the only place America has left to manufacture large caliber artillery guns. We make all of the tank guns now in use. We manufactured all of the massive guns aboard the naval battleships, etc.
I am the public affairs officer of the Watervliet Arsenal as well as the director of the Museum of the Big Guns. The Museum of the Big Guns at Watervliet Arsenal, Watervliet, NY, is about seven miles north of the state capital at Albany. Check out the arsenal and museum at www.wva.army.mil.[John Swantek, 04/14/2002]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- False Grave of Uncle Sam, Troy, NY - < 1 mi.
- Uncle Sam's Chamber Pot, Troy, NY - < 1 mi.
- Uncle Sam's Vacant Lot (formerly Uncle Sam's House), Troy, NY - 1 mi.
- In the region: Car on a Smokestack, Amsterdam, NY - 30 mi.