Hancock, Maine: Large Fiberglass LobsterA statue prominently placed to attract Route 1 travelers. Red and shiny, as if it had just been boiled in a big pot.
- 792 US Hwy 1, Hancock, ME
- On the north side of US 1, just east of its intersection with Hwy 182, in front of a seafood restaurant.
- Visible seasonally.
Visitor Tips and News About Large Fiberglass Lobster
Wilbur has been refreshed. He has been painted, the base has been painted blue and he is now perched behind a lobster boat.[Jane Rohan, 07/13/2012]
The big lobster still provides photo opportunities in Hancock.[Darrell Hensdale, 09/15/2009]
You really should consider the 20-ft. fiberglass lobster ("Wilbur," I think) happily sending his fellow lobsters to the dinner plate. This lovely roadside work of art is located in Hancock, Maine, near the junction of Rt. 182 and US 1, at the Tideway Motel/Ruth and Wimpy's Kitchen. It has been in town as long as I can remember and has always struck me as pretty insane. It will probably be wrapped in tarps until at least Memorial Day.[Mary Mattila, 04/12/1997]
September 2009 - photo added.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Ray Murphy's Chainsaw Show, Hancock, ME - < 1 mi.
- Pet Sematary Movie House, Hancock, ME - 4 mi.
- The Great Maine Lumberjack Show, Trenton, ME - 4 mi.
- In the region: Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory, Fort Knox Tunnels, Prospect, ME - 24 mi.