Allen Park, Michigan: World's Largest Tire
- I-94, Allen Park, MI
- I-94 just east of Detroit Metro Airport. The last road before you reach the tire is Southfield Freeway. Or via Baker College parking lot, just off Outer Drive in Allen Park. Visitors must report to Campus Safety; the property around the tire is not open to the general public.
- Private property - visible from I-94
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
An towering symbol of American -- and particularly the Detroit area's -- highway prowess. Built as a Ferris Wheel for the 1964 New York World's Fair. Roadsideamerica.com Report...
Visitor Tips and News About World's Largest Tire
I was so excited to find this! I rode on the tire as a Ferris Wheel, as a kid at the 1964/1965 NY Word's Fair! It's not lit at night.[Bette, 04/09/2013]
Was able to snap a shot of the World's Largest Tire as I drove by on I-94, because there was a huge snowstorm.[Denise Manfredi, 03/06/2011]
If you had four of those all-weathers you sure wouldn't be sitting in blizzard traffic!
Large Tire.[Jennifer Cavola, 01/30/2010]
Still pleasing interstate passersby.
The tire is easy to get to from the Baker College parking lot, just off Outer Drive in Allen Park. At the western edge of the parking lot, there is a dirt road that leads to the tire. If you trust the makeshift bridge over a creek you can drive right up to it. Otherwise, it is a short hike.[John McSweeny, 01/25/2009]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Ford Rouge Factory Tour, Dearborn, MI - 3 mi.
- Gas Tank Basketball, River Rouge, MI - 3 mi.
- The Henry Ford, America's Greatest History Attraction, Dearborn, MI - 3 mi.
- In the region: Polar Bear Memorial to Russian-Fightin' Doughboys, Troy, MI - 22 mi.