Greenfield, Massachusetts: Gravity HillDefying the laws of gravity and common sense, vehicles appear to roll up a hill.
- Shelburne Rd, Greenfield, MA
- I-91 exit 26. Drive west on Hwy 2, then make an immediate right onto Colrain Rd, then make an immediate left onto Shelburne Rd. As you drive under the Hwy 2 bridge, do a U-turn and park across from the white road marker on the left side of the road, about 150 feet east of the bridge. Put car in neutral and roll uphill. Remember that this is a public road; use hazard flashers; be aware of other drivers!
- Public road. Hazard flashers recommended. Use at your own risk.
Visitor Tips and News About Gravity Hill
At first we passed it, then I found the white metal rod and parked next to it. We put the car in neutral and went forwards maybe about 50 feet. It went very slowly, though. Then we turned around and went backwards up the hill.[Michele, 10/18/2010]
My grandson had heard of this so we went to try it out. It was really amazing. Your head is telling you it shouldn't be, but your car is rolling up the hill! Next time I plan on bringing a compass, to see if it has any effect, and plug in the GPS to see if it affects coordinates. It was fun. Worth the trip.[Pauline, 08/17/2010]
Holy cow, this is amazing! I had read about this place here, but then I saw there is also a Geocache hidden nearby, so we had to visit. We first approached from the East (heading West), put the car in neutral, and then started coasting backwards, up the hill. We then drove forward, under the bridge, turned around, stopped, and put it in neutral again just after the passed back under the bridge (heading East, this time).
The car started rolling, slowly, at first, and then it was going faster as we coasted up the hill. I think we reached a top speed of maybe 12 MPH. We continued to coast after cresting the hill and just kept rolling down the road. We stopped, went back, and tried it again, this time about 50 feet East of the bridge. We rolled, but much slower this time, but the car still went up the hill. We have no idea how it works, but it does.[Eric Nixon, 05/03/2010]
My daughter and I just tried this and it definitely works....was kinda freaky![Jason, 04/21/2010]
I would never have believed it, but we went today and it does work. This is incredible, if you are ever in Greenfield, check it out![Chris, 05/11/2008]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Tree Stump ATM, Greenfield, MA - < 1 mi.
- World's Largest Candle in World's Largest Candle Store, South Deerfield, MA - 7 mi.
- Bridge of Flowers, Shelburne Falls, MA - 6 mi.
- In the region: Church with Congregation of Nude Statues, North Adams, MA - 26 mi.