Tahawus, New York: Tahawus Ghost TownRemains of a 19th-century stone blast furnace and other sturdy structures, deep in the woods.
- Tahawus Rd, Tahawus, NY
- Drive east from the village of Newcomb on Route 28N for around four miles. Turn left onto Eaton Lane/Blue Ridge Rd/Boreas Rd/CR-2 for around a mile, and then left again onto CR-25/Tahawus Rd, following the signs to the High Peaks hiking trails.
Visitor Tips and News About Tahawus Ghost Town
We saw this on Roadside America and decided to investigate -- it sounded pretty cool. Turns out the Open Space Institute acquired it and cleaned up around it, so it's not so eerie anymore. But it is something to see. The Tahawus Tract blast furnace is huge![Lisa, 10/13/2005]
There are remains of a 19th-century stone blast furnace and other stone structures, along with a ghost town (Tahawus aka Adirondac) deep in the woods in the High Peaks area of the Adirondacks, near the town of Newcomb. The blast furnace is back a ways on a dirt road in the woods but is quite eerie to see as it resembles a towering overgrown jungle temple at this point. It is off Route 28 in the Adirondack Park.[Ellen Edgerton, 08/18/2002]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Unlucky Guide Monument, Adirondack Park, NY - 5 mi.
- Barton Garnet Mine, North River, NY - 25 mi.
- Mountain Man Statue, North Hudson, NY - 17 mi.
- Skull and Noose of Last Man Hanged in Essex County, Elizabethtown, NY - 26 mi.