Deer Isle, Maine: Nervous Nellie's - Where Jam is MadeAnd lots of odd art as well, made of industrial scrap and junk and scattered around the property.
Nervous Nellie's Jams and Jellies
- 598 Sunshine Rd, Deer Isle, ME
- From US Hwy 1 north of Bucksport, take Hwy 15 through Blue Hill and Sedgwick, then across the suspension bridge to Deer Isle. Follow Hwy 15 for six miles to a Mobil station on the right. Take a left onto the Sunshine Rd. Nervous Nellie's Jams and Jellies is three miles on the left (bearing right at the fork after a mile or so).
- May-Christmas 9 am - 5 pm. (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About Nervous Nellie's - Where Jam is Made
I happened upon this place this spring. While according to the sign's posted hours, it was open, there was no one to be seen, anywhere, which was a bit eerie. I explored anyways, with a few of my friends. How could we not? While Nervous Nellie's Jams and Jellies are sold in my hometown of Portland, no one had told me about the crazy sculpture that lurked about their point of origin. Made of scrap metal and found objects, the sculptures ranged in size from footstool-sized to gargantuan. Some appeared very "finished" while others were obviously in the process of construction. Half-hidden within the nearby woods and littered across the yard were some of the most bizarre and wonderful concoctions of industrial debris I have ever seen.[Michelle Souliere, 08/24/2002]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Controversial Dead Seagull, Camden, ME - 22 mi.
- Andre the Seal Statue, Rockport, ME - 22 mi.
- Colonel Buck's Cursed Tomb, Bucksport, ME - 26 mi.
- Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory, Fort Knox Tunnels, Prospect, ME - 26 mi.