Sulphur Springs, Texas: Southwest Dairy Center and Museum - Big Cows12 pounds of milk make one gallon of ice cream, 21 pounds make one pound of butter. You'll learn that here. Standing outside are two 15-foot-tall cow statues.
- 1200 W. Houston St., Sulphur Springs, TX
- I-30 exit 122. Drive north on Hwy 19 to Hwy 11, turn right and drive a half-mile to the Civic Center complex. Look for the big cows.
- M-F 9 am - 4 pm. (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About Southwest Dairy Center and Museum - Big Cows
The Southwest Dairy Center and Museum chronicles milk production techniques and health benefits. Outside there are two 15 ft tall statues of dairy cows -- one a Holstein and the other a Jersey. Great photo op.[Frank Smith, 03/20/2005]
The museum opened in 1982, the cows arrived in 1997. Highlights of the museum include an exhibit where you stick your finger into a milking machine simulator to feel what a cow feels.
Sulphur Springs, located in Hopkins County in Northeast Texas, officially, the "Dairy Capital of Texas" with over 165 Grade "A" Dairy farms, has long been one of the states leading dairy counties. The giant statues of "Buttercup" and "Creampuff" stand guard over the entrance to the Southwest Dairy Center and Museum, an educational facility located in the Civic Center Complex in Sulphur Springs. The Dairy Center is supported by the dairy farm families in Texas and eight other states. In addition to the Southwest Dairy Center in Sulphur Springs, the Center operates 12 "Mobile Dairy Classrooms" comprised of a truck and trailer which hauls a cow and baby calf and milking machine, and are used for educational demonstrations in school districts throughout the supporting states.[Bill Elliott, President, Hopkins County Chamber of Commerce, 12/21/2002]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- America's Only Public Bathrooms with See-Thru Walls, Sulphur Springs, TX - 1 mi.
- Audie Murphy - America's Most Decorated Soldier, Greenville, TX - 27 mi.
- Big Swordfish and Seahorse, Greenville, TX - 28 mi.
- Statue of Pyro the Dragon, Paris, TX - 36 mi.