Waynesboro (near), Pennsylvania: Site R - Raven Rock - Underground Pentagon
Waynesboro (near), Pennsylvania - Site R - Raven Rock - Underground Pentagon
Visitor Tips and News About Site R - Raven Rock - Underground Pentagon
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Site-R Alternate Joint Communications Center is a hollowed-out mountain (Raven Rock) known among civilians as the "Underground Pentagon." It was created during the Cold War as a disaster recovery site -- i.e., a place the President and other key officials could go if the Russians pushed the button. It's basically an underground city of several levels, with food, a reservoir, etc.
It's not worth a special trip, because access is severely restricted, but if you're going to Gettysburg and environs and want to see a big scary entrance to a hollowed-out mountain, you might want to check it out.
[Joyce Harrison, 01/31/2003]
Site R - Raven Rock - Underground Pentagon:
- Raven Rock is on a mountain road off of Route 16 in Pennsylvania
near Waynesboro,PA (close to Gettysburg).
September 30, 2016
Pennsylvania Latest Tips and Stories
- Storyland - Remnants, Schellsburg, Pennsylvania
- Feature: Gettysburg Dime Museum, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
- Statue of Hooded Man on Gallows, Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania
- American Treasure Tour, Oaks, Pennsylvania
- Feature: Jennie Wade, Bread Martyr: See the Bullet Hole, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Plane on a Stick, Lakewood, California
- Jesus Wearing Cowboy Boots, Paris, Texas
- Magnetic Hill, Springer, Oklahoma
- Jesse James' Corpse Basket - Funeral Museum, St. Joseph, Missouri
- Japanese Temple Replica, Kaneohe, Oahu, Hawaii