Waynesboro (near), Pennsylvania: Site R - Raven Rock - Underground Pentagon
Waynesboro (near), Pennsylvania - Site R - Raven Rock - Underground Pentagon
Visitor Tips and News About Site R - Raven Rock - Underground Pentagon
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Site-R Alternate Joint Communications Center is a hollowed-out mountain (Raven Rock) known among civilians as the "Underground Pentagon." It was created during the Cold War as a disaster recovery site -- i.e., a place the President and other key officials could go if the Russians pushed the button. It's basically an underground city of several levels, with food, a reservoir, etc.
It's not worth a special trip, because access is severely restricted, but if you're going to Gettysburg and environs and want to see a big scary entrance to a hollowed-out mountain, you might want to check it out.
[Joyce Harrison, 01/31/2003]
Site R - Raven Rock - Underground Pentagon:
- Raven Rock is on a mountain road off of Route 16 in Pennsylvania
near Waynesboro,PA (close to Gettysburg).
July 5, 2015
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Pennsylvania Latest Tips and Stories
- Bull Statue, Mercer, Pennsylvania
- Johnstown Inclined Plane - World's Steepest Vehicular Inclined Plane, Johnstown, Pennsylvania
- Living Dead Museum, Evans City, Pennsylvania
- Flying Saucer in Town Named Mars, Mars, Pennsylvania
- Mercer Museum, Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Titanic: World's Largest Museum Attraction, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
- Lopsided Pink Dog, Memphis, Tennessee
- Welcome Alien Statue, Roswell, New Mexico
- Art Tigers, Memphis, Tennessee
- Carved Wooden Farmer, Chatfield, Minnesota