Waynesboro (near), Pennsylvania: Site R - Raven Rock - Underground Pentagon
Waynesboro (near), Pennsylvania - Site R - Raven Rock - Underground Pentagon
Visitor Tips and News About Site R - Raven Rock - Underground Pentagon
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Site-R Alternate Joint Communications Center is a hollowed-out mountain (Raven Rock) known among civilians as the "Underground Pentagon." It was created during the Cold War as a disaster recovery site -- i.e., a place the President and other key officials could go if the Russians pushed the button. It's basically an underground city of several levels, with food, a reservoir, etc.
It's not worth a special trip, because access is severely restricted, but if you're going to Gettysburg and environs and want to see a big scary entrance to a hollowed-out mountain, you might want to check it out.
[Joyce Harrison, 01/31/2003]
Site R - Raven Rock - Underground Pentagon:
Address: Waynesboro (near), PA
Directions: Raven Rock is on a mountain road off of Route 16 in Pennsylvania
near Waynesboro,PA (close to Gettysburg).
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 22, 2014
Pennsylvania Latest Tips and Stories
- Bill's Old Bike Barn, Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
- Ape on a Roof, Berwick, Pennsylvania
- Large Fish on a Hook, Grove City, Pennsylvania
- Tree Brain, Grove City, Pennsylvania
- Grave of Rocky's Adrian, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Church With a Rock In It, Mentone, Alabama
- Space Station Museum - Moon Holiday, Novato, California
- Architectural DNA, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- U.S. Arsenal Ghost Tower, Fayetteville, North Carolina
- Eat BBQ in a Bus Station, Columbus, Georgia
Latest Visitor Tips