New Ulm, Minnesota - German Brewery Fun
Visitor Tips and News About German Brewery Fun
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Schell's brewery dates to 1860 and is the second oldest in the US. Built in a hilly niche above New Ulm, it's like stepping back into Germany of the 1800's. Past the old brewery is an authentic mansion, complete with gardens, a deer park, hummingbirds, and preening peacocks. On Summer Saturdays, follow the lederhosen-clad Fuhrer ("leader", auf Deutsch) who conducts casual tours of the premises. The tour ends with freely poured brewskis (pils, pale ale, Octoberfest Schmaltz's alt, others) in the tap room; prosit! Drop a few Marks at the better-than-average gift shop in the old workers' quarters, and inspect a museum of pre- and post-Prohibition brewery artifacts while you sober up a bit.
[Curt Morgan, 05/13/1999]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
July 25, 2014
Minnesota Latest Tips and Stories
- Northernmost School in the Contiguous (Lower 48) States, Angle Inlet, Minnesota
- Northernmost Post Office in the Lower 48 States, Angle Inlet, Minnesota
- Jolly Green Giant, Blue Earth, Minnesota
- Bench for "You Can't Always Get What You Want" Man, Excelsior, Minnesota
- Paul Bunyan's Chair and Tin Man, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Skeleton Man Walking Skeleton Dinosaur, Murdo, South Dakota
- Salem Sue, World's Largest Holstein Cow, New Salem, North Dakota
- Grand Canyon Deer Farm, Williams, Arizona
- Sit On Einstein's Lap, Washington, DC
- Gargoyles, Washington National Cathedral, Washington, DC
Latest Visitor Tips