Beech Grove, Tennessee: Grave of Old Isham, Rebel War Horse
The lonely grave of this Confederate war horse was forgotten until 2002, when it was rediscovered and restored by fans of the Lost Cause and horses.
- French Brantley Rd, Beech Grove, TN
- I-24 exit 105. Drive north on US Hwy 41 around two miles, until it drops over a large hill. At the bottom of the hill, just past a sign for "Noah Fork," turn left onto French Brantley Rd. Drive for about a mile and the grave will be on the right, just off of the road, by a small creek. A small fence surrounds the grave, and there's a flagpole as well.
Grave of Old Isham - Rebel War Horse
Visitor Tips and News About Grave of Old Isham, Rebel War Horse
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
This is the grave of CSA General Benjamin Franklin Cheatham's war horse Old Isham, named for Isham Harris, Confederate governor of Tennessee. Gen. Cheatham took the horse home with him to his farm after the war and when the horse died he buried him with full military honors. In 2002 the Sons of Confederate Veterans located and marked the grave with a tombstone and dedicated the grave with speeches and a salute with rifles and cannon.
[William Fraley, 05/03/2003]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- George Dickel Distillery Tour, Normandy, TN - 10 mi.
- Grave of Strolling Jim, Tennessee Walking Horse, Wartrace, TN - 8 mi.
- Grave of Beautiful Jim Key, the Educated Horse, Shelbyville, TN - 15 mi.
- In the region: Cumberland Caverns, with a Chandelier, McMinnville, TN - 30 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
June 17, 2013
Tennessee Latest Tips and Stories
- Atomic Mouse of Memphis, Memphis, Tennessee
- Shrunken Head at the Pink Palace, Memphis, Tennessee
- Giant Metal Rooster, Rockford, Tennessee
- Pink Elephant, Madison, Tennessee
- Giant Guitar, Bristol, Tennessee
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Mass Grave of Circus Train Wreck Victims, Columbus, Georgia
- Sleep in Andy Griffith's Boyhood Home, Mount Airy, North Carolina
- Newspaper Rock, Monticello, Utah
- World's Largest Washboard and Festival, Logan, Ohio
- Feature: The Panoramic Encyclopedia of Everything Elvis, Cornelia, Georgia
Latest Visitor Tips