Manchester, New Hampshire: Merci Box Car
A World War I French railroad box car filled with presents for New Hampshire, a gift from a grateful France, now displayed in its own little building behind glass.
- Reed St., Manchester, NH
- West side of the city. I-293 exit 6. South on Front St./Amoskeag St./Eddy Rd, then first right onto Bremer St. Drive five or six blocks, then left onto Reed St. At the dead end of Reed, just south of Bremer.
- Ceremony annually in Sept.
Merci Box Car
Visitor Tips and News About Merci Box Car
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The French sent over gifts of gratitude in the "Merci" train, thankful for the relief supplies sent over by individual Americans in the 1940s. Each state received their own box car, and NH has wonderfully preserved theirs in a gorgeous Lions Club-style shrine, decorated with fleur-de-lys and French signage aplenty. It's weird and educational!
[Alyssa Waite, 05/14/2003]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
March 11, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
New Hampshire Latest Tips and Stories
- Giant Elvis Head, Londonderry, New Hampshire
- Redstone Rocket, Warren, New Hampshire
- Giant Smoking Cigar Sign, Salem, New Hampshire
- World's Longest Candy Counter - Chutter's, Littleton, New Hampshire
- Polar Caves, Rumney, New Hampshire
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: The Wooldridge Monuments, Mayfield, Kentucky
- Graffiti Bridge, Pensacola, Florida
- Babe the Muffler Man, San Jose, California
- Olympic Torch Tower, Atlanta, Georgia
- World's Largest Indoor Train Display, West Chester, Ohio
Latest Visitor Tips