Manchester, New Hampshire: Merci Box Car
A World War I French railroad box car filled with presents for New Hampshire, a gift from a grateful France, now displayed in its own little building behind glass.
- Reed St., Manchester, NH
- West side of the city. I-293 exit 6. South on Front St./Amoskeag St./Eddy Rd, then first right onto Bremer St. Drive five or six blocks, then left onto Reed St. At the dead end of Reed, just south of Bremer.
- Ceremony annually in Sept.
Merci Box Car
Visitor Tips and News About Merci Box Car
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The French sent over gifts of gratitude in the "Merci" train, thankful for the relief supplies sent over by individual Americans in the 1940s. Each state received their own box car, and NH has wonderfully preserved theirs in a gorgeous Lions Club-style shrine, decorated with fleur-de-lys and French signage aplenty. It's weird and educational!
[Alyssa Waite, 05/14/2003]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
January 29, 2015
New Hampshire Latest Tips and Stories
- KFC-Taco Bell Graveyard, Somersworth, New Hampshire
- La Salette Shrine, Enfiel, New Hampshire
- Stairway to Nowhere, Chesterfield, New Hampshire
- Santa's Village, Jefferson, New Hampshire
- Giant Elvis Head, Londonderry, New Hampshire
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- 30-Foot-Tall Native American Head, Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- Zinc Civil War Soldier, Graves of Interest, Iola, Kansas
- Large Bird Fighting a Snake, Fort Pierce, Florida
- Pirate Statue, Otway, North Carolina
- Stuffed Moray Eel in Appliance Store, Glenview, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips