Gurdon, Arkansas: Hoo Hoo Monument and World HeadquartersThe International Concatenated Order of the Hoo Hoo was founded here in 1892 by apparently fun-loving lumbermen stranded in town. The monument is topped by two of their so-called Hoo Hoo cats, with upraised tails that form the number 9.
- 207 Main St., Gurdon, AR
- Hoo Hoo headquarters is in a log building on the north side of E. Main St./Hwy 53 between 2nd and 3rd Sts. The monument is a block west, just north of Main St., on the west side of N. 1st St. next to the train tracks and just south of the train station.
Visitor Tips and News About Hoo Hoo Monument and World Headquarters
The International Concatenated Order of the Hoo Hoo was founded in 1892 in Gurdon, Arkansas by lumbermen stranded in town. The fraternal lumbermen's organization has had from its inception a sense of humor about itself, naming its officers the Snark, Bo-jum, Sr. High Hoo Hoo, Jabberwock and other whimsical names. Along the nearby railroad tracks, a small statue commemorates the Hoo Hoo symbol, the black cat whose up-raised tail forms the number "9." The fraternal organization still thrives world-wide today.[Robert H Nunnally, Jr., 05/18/2003]
June 2012: Photo added.