Barrow, Alaska: Wiley Post and Will Rogers Crash Memorial
The record-setting pilot and beloved humorist died in a plane crash nearby.
- Okpik St., Barrow, AK
- Across the street and north one block from the terminal building at the Wiley Post/Will Rogers Airport in Barrow, AK at the visitors welcome center.
Wiley Post and Will Rogers Memorial
Visitor Tips and News About Wiley Post and Will Rogers Crash Memorial
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
On August 25, 1935, aviation pioneer Wiley Post and humorist Will Rogers died in a plane crash 16 miles outside of Barrow, Alaska. Post's plane was said to be "experimental" and the true cause of the crash remains unknown, although running on an empty fuel tank is the suspected culprit. While Barrow has approximately 27 miles of roads, none of them lead to the actual crash site, so a memorial inside the city limits was dedicated on August 15, 1982. [Wade H. Jeffrey, PhD, 09/01/2003]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 18, 2013
Alaska Latest Tips and Stories
- Northernmost Totem Pole in the World, Point Barrow, Alaska
- Giant Mosquito, Kasilof, Alaska
- Skagway Brothel Museum, Skagway, Alaska
- Dolly's House Museum: Brothel, Ketchikan, Alaska
- World's Largest Gold Nugget, Ketchikan, Alaska
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Center Of The Universe, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Russell's Travel Center, Glenrio, New Mexico
- Totem Pole Trading Post, Rolla, Missouri
- Giant Campbell's Soup Can, Fort Collins, Colorado
- Feature: Dungeons & Dragons Park, Carbondale, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips