La Crosse, Wisconsin: Paul Hefti's Yard Art - GoneA small house in a tree-lined, working class neighborhood, a few blocks from the Mississippi River and just south of the World's Largest Six Pack.
- A small red house in a tree-lined, working class neighborhood, a few blocks from the Mississippi River and just south of the World's Largest Six Pack.
Visitor Tips and News About Paul Hefti's Yard Art - Gone
Sorry folks, house is painted green, but "Hefti" still shown on door. We spoke to a neighbor who said Paul Hefti was put in a nursing home and lawn decorations are no more (this site is often confused with another "pop bottle house" with corner street address, but this is the same site).[Karen F., 07/31/2008]
Paul Hefti's yard art has been in serious decline in the last couple of years. It leads me to believe he may be sick or planning a move. This is really sad for the people who have spent many days trying to figure out what he was going to build next. Will keep you posted when we find out for sure.[Gusty, 03/26/2005]
This gentleman has been assembling tableaus in his back yard out of whatever he finds for years. If you're as lucky as we were, he will notice you admiring his work and come out and fill you in on the many puns, tricks and moving parts of his assemblages. We were particularly enamored with one of his plastic pop bottle "Crybabies," and bought it from him. Not that he named a price, we just left some money in the guest book he had us sign. He was a delightful interpreter of his own work. Completely unassuming. He's the real deal, folk art wise.[Marti McGinnis, 09/30/2003]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- World's Largest Six Pack and Gambrinus, King of Beer, La Crosse, WI - < 1 mi.
- Big Statue of Hiawatha, La Crosse, WI - 1 mi.
- Large Baseball Bat and Ball, La Crosse, WI - 3 mi.
- Sunfish Capital of the World - Sunny the Sunfish, Onalaska, WI - 6 mi.