Minden, Nebraska: German POW UrinalIn its youth it flushed the pee of World War II Germans in a Nebraska POW camp. Still on the job. Men, here's your chance to become a part of history.
Pioneer Village Campground
- 200 E. 12th St., Minden, NE
- In the Pioneer Village Campground next to Harold Warp's Pioneer Village. I-80 exit 279. Drive south on Hwy 10/Harold Warp Memorial Drive for 12 miles into Minden. Turn left onto E. 12th St. and drive two blocks to the campground. On the right.
Visitor Tips and News About German POW Urinal
The urinal is still there in the campground bathrooms however the sign stating that it is the WWII urinal has been removed. If you look closely you can see the holes in the wall where the sign used to be over the correct urinal.[David, 08/08/2013]
The sign above the urinal indicates it was salvaged from a WWII prisoner camp in Atlanta, Nebraska. A quick glance at a map of central Nebraska will show you that Atlanta, Nebraska, isn't too far from Minden, Nebraska -- home of tourist icon Harold Warp's Pioneer Village. The urinals are located in the adjacent Pioneer Village Campground.
I don't believe this particular item has been mentioned either on your site or in the Pioneer Village official brochure. Surely this is a courtesy to the campers. If such a treasure were advertised, their bathroom would be overrun with bathroom fixture historians and curiosity seekers.
Note the excellent condition of the fixtures. As I stood before the urinals, I didn't know whether to feel slightly amused or humbled, knowing that men who had suffered greatly, enemies though they may have been, had been there before me.[Jason Bayne, 11/23/2003]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Harold Warp's Pioneer Village, Minden, NE - < 1 mi.
- Boot Hill Cemetery, Lowell, NE - 10 mi.
- The Archway, Kearney, NE - 12 mi.
- In the region: Monument: Where Brothers Were Pinned Together By An Arrow, Alda, NE - 30 mi.