Saint Jo, Texas: Lady Bug VWs and Other Big Folk Art
Another "Cadillac Ranch"-inspired Texas roadside art piece.
- Hwy 677, Saint Jo, TX
- On Hwy 677, two miles southwest of US 82/Broad St. in Saint Jo. At the junction of Hwys 677 and 3206, on the southwest corner.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
VW Bugs and Art
Visitor Tips and News About Lady Bug VWs and Other Big Folk Art
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The VW Bugs are surrounded by irrigation pipe cactus, flowers, and other art in the middle of a quiet little German area of Texas. Left off of Hwy 82 heading West from Gainesville, they sit in a large field surrounded by fence, so you can't get right up to them. I'm sure this discourages people from defacing them. The other art is fun to take in as well! [Evans, 09/02/2013]
Lady Bug VWs and Other Big Folk Art
Some sculptures in a pasture, clearly visible from the road. As I misremember, these pics were taken Jul/Aug 02. The Sunflowers are rotary aircraft engines welded on top of oil drill pipe. The Lady Bugs are VWs. These are the smallest things in the collection. The saguaro, fan and airplane are utility poles. I haven't been able to find out who the artist is (yet). Talked with several residents at the St. Jo DQ and most said they knew who it was but refused to give me any helpful information other than he lives in a nearby town, not St. Jo. Everybody but our waitress thought the guy was a complete nut.
The pasture is littered with junk in and around the art pieces - future works in progress?
[David Carlson, 01/25/2004]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
July 28, 2014
Texas Latest Tips and Stories
- Monster Mini Golf, San Antonio, Texas
- World's Largest Urban Bat Colony, Austin, Texas
- Giant Coors Light Can, Longview, Texas
- World's Largest Virgin Mary Mosaic, San Antonio, Texas
- Cadillac Ranch, Amarillo, Texas
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Comic Rockstars Toilet Seat Museum, San Francisco, California
- Backyard Golden Gate Bridge Replica, Mulvane, Kansas
- Future Birthplace of James T. Kirk, Riverside, Iowa
- Feature: Mardi Gras World, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Al's Oasis - Big Buffalo, Oacoma, South Dakota
Latest Visitor Tips