Baton Rouge, Louisiana: Speechifying Huey Long Statue, Death GunA brass statue of the Kingfish treats visitors to some down-home speechifyin' as his shadow moves. Museum includes displays about Long's assassination, including the gun of the guy who (supposedly) killed him.
Museum Of Political History
- 100 North Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA
- Museum Of Political History. In the Old State Capitol. I-110 exit onto North Blvd, then east to the river. About a mile south of the current Capitol building. On the first floor of the Old State Capitol.
- Tu - Sa, 10 am - 4 pm; 1st Su of month 12 - 4 pm. (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About Speechifying Huey Long Statue, Death Gun
There has been a change in schedule: the capital is no longer open every Sunday, just the first Sunday of the month. Also, the Ghost of the Castle feature is wonderful![Terri, 06/12/2011]
"Ghost of the Castle" is an "immersive" 12-minute film about the construction of the Old Louisiana State Capitol, as told by the ghost of Confederate girl Sarah Morgan.
On on the first floor of the Old State Capitol, the Huey Long brass statue does not move, however the "shadow" of Long moves in unison with the speech being given. The Old State Capitol Museum Of Political History is also a free museum, no charge.[cajunZ28, 01/04/2011]
So sorry to say, but the Animatronic Huey Long has been retired. There are some great new exhibits at the Old State Capitol and a large Huey statue.[Terri, 11/25/2010]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- WWII Destroyer Kidd - Pirate of the Pacific, Baton Rouge, LA - < 1 mi.
- Big Root Beer Mug, Baton Rouge, LA - < 1 mi.
- Huey Long Shot Here: See the Bullet Hole!, Baton Rouge, LA - < 1 mi.
- In the region: Dr. Charles Smith African-American Heritage Museum, Hammond, LA - 44 mi.