Leslie, Michigan: Tombstone of the Cream-of-Wheat ManThe small headstone is engraved with his familiar face, wearing a puffy chef's hat and a big grin.
- 190 Oak St., Leslie, MI
- Woodlawn Cemetery is on Adams St., east of Main St. Plot 310. The stone is immediately to the right of where the path from the old gravel entrance -- not the paved auto entrance -- forks. In front of Woodman family plot.
Visitor Tips and News About Tombstone of the Cream-of-Wheat Man
The Roadside America directions, along with Ms. Hothem's tip, made it very easy to find this grave. The gravel entrance is one tenth of a mile from the intersection of Main and Adams. The photo shows our quirky touch to the site, but not wanting to show any disrespect to Mr. White, my husband said a few kind words in his memory before we left.[Deborah Bieman, 09/04/2012]
The grave marker is small, rose granite. It is close to the gravel road, in front of the Woodman family grave area. We saw a small rose colored urn planted with flowers next to it and two variegated hosta plants in front of the maker, making it a little hard to find. But it is worth the search.
Check out the great wooden playground just south of here on Main Street, public restrooms open until 6 pm.[JoEllen Hothem, 08/05/2011]
The man believed to be the model for the chef pictured on the Cream of Wheat box finally has a grave marker. His name is Frank L. White, and he died in 1938 in this small town south of Lansing, Michigan. The headstone has an etching of the famous picture on the cereal box. White was born in the Barbados around 1867, came to the US in 1875, and became a citizen in 1890.[Jay, 07/02/2007]
Frank White claimed to be the model for the man on the Cream of Wheat cereal box. There is some ambiguity to this claim, but the cemetery ledger reads "Cream of Wheat man." He died in 1938, and is buried in Woodlawn cemetery under an unmarked, square stone. A local man is trying to raise funds to buy a nice marker.[Steve Archer, 10/24/2004]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Tour Prison Tunnels, Cells, Loft Apts, Jackson, MI - 14 mi.
- The Jackson Cascades, Jackson, MI - 16 mi.
- Grave of Mr. Chicken the Plastic-Legged Rooster, Jackson, MI - 13 mi.
- "Sparty" the Spartan - World's Largest Free-Standing Ceramic Figure, East Lansing, MI - 19 mi.