Rapid City, South Dakota: Lonely Dinosaur
Miles outside of the city, this origins of this solitary dino statue remain a mystery.
- Hwy 44, Rapid City, SD
- From downtown Rapid City -- jct of US Hwy 16 and Hwy 44/Omaha St. -- drive east on Hwy 44 for 30.5 miles. You'll see the blue dinosaur on the north side of the highway. A small road leads to it.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Visitor Tips and News About Lonely Dinosaur
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
I was driving down Highway 44 when I saw a lonely dinosaur. There is a field entrance near him that I pulled into to take the photo. I didn't get extremely close, but he appeared to still be in good shape.
[Melinda Bryan, 07/02/2011]
I noticed this sole Brontosaurus about eight years ago, run-down and looking his age (built during the Depression, probably by the same folks who erected Dinosaur Park in Rapid City). He had crumbling holes showing his re-bar skeleton, and was covered in graffiti. This summer I went by him again and was pleased to find he's been restored, complete with bicycle reflectors for eyes and mouth (there's even a plaque commemorating the makeover). I'm still not sure why he's there in the first place.
[luther rochester, 10/18/2004]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
January 26, 2015
South Dakota Latest Tips and Stories
- Big Thunder Gold Mine, Keystone, South Dakota
- Madonna Of The Prairies, Hermosa, South Dakota
- Scrap Metal T Rex Sue, Faith, South Dakota
- Original 1880's Town, Murdo, South Dakota
- Reptile Gardens, Rapid City, South Dakota
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- 30-Foot-Tall Native American Head, Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- Zinc Civil War Soldier, Graves of Interest, Iola, Kansas
- Large Bird Fighting a Snake, Fort Pierce, Florida
- Pirate Statue, Otway, North Carolina
- Stuffed Moray Eel in Appliance Store, Glenview, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips