Stony Brook, New York: Mechanical Flapping Eagle
Installed over the post office entrance, it flaps its wooden wings on the hour.
- 129 Main St., Stony Brook, NY
- Hwy 25A to Stony Brook, then north on Main St. The Village Center will be on the right. The 2-D eagle is nailed to the pediment above the columned entrance to the post office.
- Eagle - hourly 8 am - 8 pm.
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Stony Brook Eagle
Visitor Tips and News About Mechanical Flapping Eagle
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The mechanical eagle, a well-known Stony Brook Village landmark, was installed in the pediment of the post office in 1941 as a part of philanthropist Ward Melville's reconstruction of Stony Brook. The wood-carved eagle with a 20-foot wingspan flaps its wings on the hour from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. daily. It is synchronized with the clock on the cupola of the federalist style post office situated in the heart of the Stony Brook Village Center.
Sukie warns that "the Eagle over the Stony Brook [Long Island, NY] Post Office flaps its wings at noon."
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 21, 2013
New York Latest Tips and Stories
- Lily Dale Mediums, Lily Dale, New York
- Iron Island Museum: Ghost tours, Buffalo, New York
- Upside-Down Bridge, Lockport, New York
- Birkett Mills: Cradle of Buckwheat, Penn Yan, New York
- Museum: Smallest Museum in NYC, New York, New York
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Gnarled Hand Rising from the Earth, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- Church with Congregation of Nude Statues, North Adams, Massachusetts
- White Deer, Famous Albino, Garner, North Carolina
- Giant Flamingo, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
- Petroglyphs with Antennae, Bellows Falls, Vermont
Latest Visitor Tips