Kent, Ohio: Kent State Massacre MemorialsSelf-guided. See where the bullets were fired at Kent State's hippie students, and the parking lot spaces where four of them died.
- Midway Drive, Kent, OH
- I-76 exit 33. Drive north on Hwy 43 for a little over two miles into town. Turn right onto Hwy 59/Haymaker Pkwy. Drive east one mile. The University will be on your right. Turn right onto Midway Drive. The third building on the right will be Prentice Hall, a dorm. Turn right into the parking lot just after Prentice Hall. The four blocked-off death sites are scattered in and around this parking lot. At the back of the lot is Taylor Hall. In front of it is an abstract metal sculpture with a bullet hole.
Visitor Tips and News About Kent State Massacre Memorials
This happened in May, 1970, and was the result of Vietnam protests and the actions of Ohio governor Rhodes. Each May the hill blooms with thousands of daffodils as a memorial also.[Lisa M, 09/22/2010]
On the campus of Kent State University is a steel art structure punctured with bullet holes from the 1970 Kent State Killings of four students. There are bullet marks in the building behind the statue. There is a name plate with the names of the students killed at the base of a small hill. The bullet holes are between the name plate and the bell on top of the hill. The National Guard was standing in front of the bell.[dan chambers, 12/31/2004]
The area in and around the south parking lot of Prentice Hall also has four blocked-off areas that mark the spots where the four students were shot dead.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Homemade Star Wars X-Wing Fighter, Kent, OH - 1 mi.
- Doodlebug Train Horror Monument, Cuyahoga Falls, OH - 7 mi.
- Earnest Angley's Cathedral Buffet and Life of Christ Display, Cuyahoga Falls, OH - 9 mi.
- In the region: Bombed Thinker, Cleveland, OH - 28 mi.