Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
Gardendale, Alabama - 125-Foot-Tall Cross
This cross is actually made from mild steel plate and just painted to look like stainless steel! It's 125 feet from the edge of the Alabama Dept. of Transportation right-of-way, and the spot was specifically chosen by the Alabama DOT to ensure that if the cross fell it would not fall on DOT property. It was fabricated in Mississippi by the Headrick company and transported in three pieces to the site (I was the project manager for fabricating and erecting this cross).
The flower garden at the entrance to the church was destroyed when the truck transporting the longest section could not turn the corner sharp enough.[John Rebry, 09/19/2014]
- 316 Mountain Crest Parkway, Gardendale, AL
- From Birmingham, 1-65 North to Fieldstown Road exit. Turn right at the end off the exit ramp and follow Fieldstown Road to Mt. Olive Road which is the second red light. Turn left. The main entrance is on the left. Turn onto Mountain Crest Parkway,
Everett, Pennsylvania - Ice Cream Sundae-Shaped Building
Fantastic ice cream stop! A ton of flavors for both ice cream and flurries (think just like a McFlurry). Our flurries were huge proportions and $6 for both. Seriously, you cannot beat that. They have maple-walnut yogurt. I didn't try it but I love their flavor creativity.[Lolo_lbc, 09/19/2014]
Igloo Soft Freeze
- 462 East Main St., Everett, PA
- Igloo Soft Freeze. North of PA Turnpike, just east of Everett, E. Main St./ US Hwy 30.
- Opens 11 am. (Call to verify)
- Covington, Kentucky - Gravity Hill
It does work! It does not look like hill but we gained speed as we coasted![Angie Green, 09/19/2014]
There goes the Tree Force Theory.
- Ridgeway Court, Covington, KY
- Drive through Devou Park until you get to River Hill St. Drive uphill on River Hill St. until it bends sharply right (and turns into Ridgeway Court). You'll see a high cement wall and a line of telephone poles on the left. Drive to the second pole, put your car in neutral, and coast uphill. This is a public, neighborhood road; be respectful of the residents, and check carefully for other traffic.
- Covington, Kentucky - Gravity Hill
In years past the tree line made this unbelievable. We returned several times to figure out the mystery. Although it's still kind of cool, the trees (which have been cut down) must have created a lot of the force which pulled the car uphill. Hopefully the trees will grow back and restore its former glory.[Nic, 09/19/2014]
You know, we never made that causal connection before, but all Gravity Hills do have trees somewhere in their vicinity.
- Rock Island, Illinois - Atomic Cannon
There are two gates to the Rock Island Arsenal, which is an Army installation. The west gate, from the 24th Street bridge, was closed when we got there at the evening rush hour, after spending 25 minutes on the bridge to reach that point. I would recommend the east gate, which is reached via the 16th Street bridge. From that gate the cannon is a short drive, located on the left.[Wes, 09/19/2014]
Rock Island Arsenal
- Rodman Ave., Rock Island, IL
- On an island between Rock Island, IL, and Davenport, IA. I-74 exit 2. Drive west on 7th Ave. to 14th St. Turn right and go straight down the street, up the ramp, across the 16th St. bridge to the island (You'll need a picture ID to enter the Island). You'll be on Rodman Ave. The cannon will be about a mile on your left, in Memorial Park.
- Free. Show photo ID.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour