Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
New Orleans, Louisiana - Cemetery Chapel with Hands and Feet
This was worth the trip while in New Orleans, very powerful.[Ryon, 10/29/2014]
Since 1875, the faithful have attached proxy hands, feet, hearts, brains, and other organs to the walls of "St. Roch" chapel, known for its power to heal.
St. Roch Cemetery
- 1725 St. Roch Ave., New Orleans, LA
- St. Roch Cemetery. I-10 exit 237. Drive south on Elysian Fields Ave. for about a half-mile. Turn left onto N. Derbigny St. Drive four blocks. Turn left onto St. Roch Ave. You'll see the walled cemetery on the right. There are entrances through the wall at various points. You'll see the chapel inside the cemetery; the room with the body parts is through an arched door just off the altar.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
- Washington, DC - Obscure Monument to Lobsterdom
While the wharf project is underway the lobsterdom monument has been stored, but should be back when the project is complete.[Andrew, 10/29/2014]
- Maine Ave., Washington, DC
- Southwest edge of downtown. On the west side of Water St., next to the water, opposite where M Place SW intersects Water St.
- 2014: In storage during wharf project.
Beulah Valley, Colorado - Roadside Grave of Solid Muldoon
This is a nice little place to stop if you are driving from Pueblo to Bishop's Castle. The area has a nice view of the mountains and a picnic table if you want to stop and eat.[Kerry, 10/28/2014]
- 7951 State Hwy 78 (near), Beulah Valley, CO
- The grave is in a small turn-out on the north side of Hwy 78, mile marker 16. Take I-25 exit 97A in Pueblo (Central Ave.), turn north one block to Northern Ave., then turn left. Drive west for 20 miles. If coming from the west, the grave is 15.5 miles east of Hwy 165.
Kings Beach, California - Three Large Dice - Miniature Golf
Seasonal? We visited in late October and it looked all wrapped up and closed for the season. Call before making the trip![Sandwich, 10/28/2014]
Kings Beach Miniature Golf
- 8693 N Lake Blvd., Kings Beach, CA
- Kings Beach Miniature Golf, North side of Hwy 28/N Lake Blvd at Fox St.
- Visible from street. (Call to verify)
Ashtabula, Ohio - Abe Lincoln Head
On Prospect Road, on the east side of Ashtabula, you'll find a big ol' Abe Lincoln head. Other than perhaps a reference to "Honest Abe" selling cars or something, I have no idea why it is there.[Frank the Real Biker, 10/28/2014]
Prospect Road was part of the Lincoln Highway in the 1920s and '30s. The head may date to then.
- 1911 W. Prospect Rd., Ashtabula, OH
- East edge of the city. On the north side of US Hwy 20/W. Prospect Rd just west of its intersection with Woodman Ave.