Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
Rhyolite, Nevada - Goldwell Open Air Museum
Newer sculpture added (last two years), while older sculptures still look clean and well maintained. Paved road off the main highway leads a short distance to Rhyolite Ghost Town, which has a handicap-access cement area by the Town's house made of glass bottles.[Marie J., 02/28/2015]
Goldwell Open Air Museum
Elberta, Alabama - Bamahenge
On the road to the Barber Marina you will come across "Bamahenge." Fabulous. There are actually only three types of "stones" used, in different ways, over and over. Great photo opportunity.[Carolyn Earle, 02/28/2015]
- Barber Pkwy, Elberta, AL
- Drive US Hwy 98 either eight miles east of Foley, AL, or 21 miles west of downtown Pensacola, FL. Turn south onto County Rd 95. Drive five miles. Turn right onto Fish Trap Rd. Drive a half-mile. Turn left at the Barber Marina sign. Drive one mile. You'll see Bamahenge on the right, set back among the trees. Park on roadside, path goes 200 yards into woods.
- RA Rates:
- Major Fun
Orrville, Ohio - Towering Cow
Very neat. Locals laughed that we asked about the cow on the silo at Smith Dairy.[Dj, 02/28/2015]
- 1381 Dairy Ln., Orrville, OH
- SR 57 in Downtown Orrville, Ohio.
North Canton, Ohio - Wright Flyer Replica
Worth the two minute trip off Rt 77. One can see it by entering the Canton Akron Airport passenger drop off area. Amazing to think this thing started the air travel we have today! And after seeing this. go to the Fannie May chocolate store two minutes away...[Dj, 02/28/2015]
- 5400 Lauby Rd, North Canton, OH
- In the parking lot of Akron-Canton Regional Airport, on the north side of the entranceway near the McKinley Air terminal.
Savannah, Georgia - Home of the Atom Smashers
You need to drive into the front of the school to see the sculpture.[Carolyn Earle, 02/27/2015]
The sculpture stands off the road, close to the school building, shielded from rogue atomic particles and wayward traffic. The severed arms are poised to to perform serious atom smashing.
Johnson High School
- 3012 Sunset Blvd., Savannah, GA
- Harry S. Truman Parkway south out of Savannah. Take US-80E toward Tybee Island. Turn left on East Victory Drive. Turn right on Whatley Ave. The school is on right.
- On school propery. Don't stray.