Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
Norwalk, Connecticut - World's Largest Dairy Store
Free samples. Singing vegetables. What's not to love?[Tim Brady, 06/18/2013]
- 100 Westport Ave., Norwalk, CT
- Stew Leonard's. On the south side of US Hwy 1/Westport Ave., less than a half-mile east of Hwy 53/East Ave.
- Daily 7 am - 11 pm. (Call to verify)
Hillsborough, North Carolina - Big Chairs
Both chairs are still there, but behind a fence guarded by two easily disturbed donkeys! The chairs need a little paint, but they are still roadside-worthy.[Jennifer Gilmore, 06/18/2013]
Cooper-Payne Tree Farms
- 2400 Davis Rd., Hillsborough, NC
- Cooper-Payne Tree Farms. Take Exit 261 off I-40 at the Hillsborough exit, head south, turn right on Davis Rd, follow for 3 miles, chair on left.
- June 2011: reported visible but on private property.
Dragoon, Arizona - The Thing?
Painted footprints lead to THE THING. I have some photos of THE THING, but I will keep the secret.[Britt Marley, 06/18/2013]
Holly Springs, Mississippi - Graceland Too
Glad we stopped. Please read the full story on RA. We knew what to expect. Paul was on his front porch waiting for visitors. He took us in the front door and locked it behind him. Would have been creepy if we didn't read the background story.
He likes to keep attention on him at all times and likes to "tap" your shoulder if his high pitched whistle didn't get you the first time. The house is now under "renovation" inside and out. There is a lot of chain link fence inside protecting his items. The house on the outside is now brown and blue and white.
Fascinating character and glad we met him.[Tansy Ridings, 06/18/2013]
High Rolls - Mountain Park, New Mexico - Apple Boy
Old Apple Barn is a great place to stop for a break, buy a lot of souvenirs and have a bite to eat. Tried the Elk Dog and it was delicious! The pies are incredible. There is a bakery that is upstairs and they lower their delectables with a dumbwaiter to the main floor.
Bill introduced himself and we spoke for at least 30 minutes as my son and I enjoyed our hot dogs. Bill is a very talented, interesting and intelligent person who is passionate about his business. If you love shopping, you will love this place! Great fudge and specialty sodas, too.[Britt Marley, 06/18/2013]
Old Apple Barn
- 949 Hwy 82, High Rolls - Mountain Park, NM
- Old Apple Barn. North side of Hwy 82, 6.5 miles down the mountain from Cloudcroft and 9.5 miles up the mountain from Alamogordo.