Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
Homosassa, Florida - Manatee Tours - Weird Statues
[Tipster] Alison said it perfectly, "Sketchy!" Car-keys-in-hand-ready-to-go type of sketchy. We said hi to the two elderly gentlemen, who stayed seated as we began to look around. The theme seems to be sea life creations with a random large ice cream cone statue. The large shark and what we believe to be a jellyfish were the two most impressive things there. Ahhhhhh, shark attack![Cheryl Ann Rondinelli, 04/23/2014]
Winston Salem, North Carolina - The Mickey Coffee Pot
The Mickey Coffee Pot was built in 1858 by two men (last name Mickey) as an advertisement for their tin shop. It has been relocated several times in Winston Salem to accommodate road construction and reduce the number of vehicles crashing into it.[Jennifer, 04/23/2014]
Old Salem Moravian Village
- Brookstown Ave, Winston-Salem, NC
- Old Salem Moravian Village. In Old Salem. I-40 exit 5D onto S. Liberty St. One block to Brookstown Ave. The coffee pot is on the left, on a grassy island, at the corner of Brookstown and Main St.
Nashville, Tennessee - Elvis Fortune Teller
Fortune Teller Elvis is right down the street from the Willie Nelson machine, both in tourist shops. He's in the middle of the store, and is the same modern make of fortune machines as the Willie's. Both are worth the dollar...[J Bradshaw, 04/23/2014]
Legends Gift Shop
- 424 Broadway, Nashville, TN
- Legends Gift Shop. At the corner of Broadway and 5th Ave. A block away from the Willie Nelson Fortune Teller.
Hodgdon, Maine - Shoe Tree
This Shoe Tree was located on your Gone list but I went there this past fall and it's still there. It's located about seven miles from Houlton on Route 1 south.[Amanda Stover, 04/23/2014]
Shoe tree still standing? Good news!
- Calais Road, Hodgdon, ME
- On the southbound side of US Hwy 1, seven miles south of its intersection with US Hwy 2 in Houlton. Heading south, you'll see a yellow highway sign warning of a right curve, then just past it is a grayish-green farm building, then just past it is the shoe tree.
- Hudson, Wisconsin - Wisconsin's Finest Taxidermy and Cheese Shop
Gone -- looked for quite a while and couldn't find it anywhere.[Ashley Craig, 04/23/2014]
An immeasurable loss to shoppers who purchase taxidermy in tandem with their cheese needs.
- I-94 exit 3, then south on Hwy 35 for about two miles. Turn left at Coulee Trail, then an immediate left onto Old Hwy 35
- April 2014: reported gone.