Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
Government Camp, Oregon - Kodiak the Bear
Kodiak is a large metal grizzly bear in the small mountain village of Government Camp.[Daryl Keenan, 06/19/2013]
It's the last thing you'll see when all of our metal wakes up, shapes into animals, and seeks revenge.
- E. Multorpor Rd, Government Camp, OR
- From US Hwy 26 turn at the blinking light at the sign for Summit Ski Area. Follow the road as it parallels the highway, then turn left onto E. Multorpor Rd. Cross over US Hwy 26. You'll see the bear ahead, on the left, at the next intersection.
Braidwood, Illinois - Polk-a-Dot Drive In
Retro diner with life-sized statues of Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, James Dean, the Blues Brothers and Betty Boop. The locals love it for their classic diner food and shakes. On the classic Route 66.[Tansy Ridings, 06/19/2013]
Mass-produced pop legend statues spotted at many places, but usually not all of them at one business. The Polk-a-Dot has been feeding Braidwood since 1956.
- 222 North Front St., Braidwood, IL
- Route 66, N. Front St.
Braidwood, Illinois - Braidwood Zoo Animal Sculptures
Just down the road from Polk-a-Dots restaurant on Route 66 are these very strange animal sculptures made out of recycled items and expandable foam. About one block down and across the street from Polk-a-dots.[Tansy Ridings, 06/19/2013]
We recognized those animals immediately as the creative shredding work of Jack Barker from Essex, Illinois. His sculptures were auctioned off in 2012 after he died, and some were bought by businesses in Braidwood to create the display. Nice to see a batch of his work still together.
- Front St., Braidwood, IL
- Rt. 66, Front St. and Main St., location approximate.
Carthage, Missouri - Red Oak II - Must see!
What a pleasant surprise. We decided to take a look at Red Oak II. Do take time to admire the architecture.[James The Route Pro, 06/19/2013]
- Rd 130, Carthage, MO
- Northeast of Carthage on Route 66/Hwy 96. Turn north onto CR 120 (or CR 130) and drive around a mile to Kafir Rd. Turn left (or right). The entrance is between CR 120 and 130, on the south side.
Vantage, Washington - Wild Stallion Sculptures
Looks real from afar. Beautiful view from up there.[Adrienne Carlson, 06/19/2013]
- I-90, Vantage, WA
- I-90 east bound, just past Vantage, across the bridge and about a mile north.