Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
Anniston, Alabama - Hitler's Tea Service and Spy Weapons
Highly recommend this stop if passing through Anniston. Very neat collection of crazy cool spy weapons....a flute pistol AND Hitler's tea set?! That in itself should be enough to capture your attention. Well worth the $5 admission fee. Small enough to stop and look without delaying your trip.[Liz Armato, 09/18/2014]
Berman Museum of World History
- 840 Museum Drive, Anniston, AL
- Berman Museum of World History. I-20 exit 185. Turn north onto Hwy 21. Drive 6.5 miles. When US Hwy 431 splits from Hwy 21, turn right into Lagarde Park, then immediately turn left. Museum will be up ahead on left.
- T-Sa 10-5, Su 1-5 (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
- Franklin, Kentucky - Large Bull
We cannot locate the bull. Not in front of the Lucky Lotto. We think he ran off with a cute big cow.[Sarah, 09/18/2014]
- Nashville Rd., Franklin, KY
- Just north of the TN border, in KY, east side of Nashville Rd.
San Antonio, Texas - World's Largest Cowboy Boots
Texas big cowboy boots are standing tall at the mall.[Leonard J. DeFrancisci, 09/18/2014]
- Charleston, Illinois - Gracie the Shark
Shark built by Pat Goodwin. Shark is in a field and and has become a local tourist attraction. Gracie is dressed for different events and holidays.[Gary Richardson, 09/18/2014]
- 5667 N. County Rd 1200E, Charleston, IL
- Southeast of town. I-57 exits 190A or 190B. Drive east on Hwy 16 for four mile. Turn right onto County Rd 1200E. Drive south two miles. You'll see Gracie in a field on the right.
Brownsville, Tennessee - Billy Tripp's Mindfield
We stopped to see the Mindfield on a road trip to Texas. Words cannot begin to describe the scale and scope of this installation. The movie theater A-frames are assembled and a load of concrete was delivered the day we were there. Obviously, the Mindfield continues to expand.[George and Sharon Splett, 09/16/2014]
- 344 W. Main St., Brownsville, TN
- On the west side of downtown, on the south side W. Main St./Hwy 54, next to the Sunrise Inn motel and a big water tower, which is also part of the Mindfield.
- Lit at night - when lightning strikes don't knock out the power.
- RA Rates:
- Major Fun