Reports, news, and stories on quirky roadside attractions! Not all tips verified -- call ahead! Submit your own tip.
There are plaques on the doors of Tesla's room and study -- rooms that can still be rented.[Jody High, 10/27/2016]
- 305 W. 34th St., New York, NY
- Plaque mounted on the outside wall of The New Yorker hotel. On the north side of W. 34th St., about a hundred feet west of 8th Ave. and the Tick-Tock Diner on the corner.
- Waxahachie, Texas - Munster Mansion
Plan on arriving at least an hour early if you are going to their annual charity event. The lines are over an hour long. And be aware there is absolutely no photography allowed inside the house.[Revbeej, 10/27/2016]
- Brown St. (1313 Mockingbird Ln.), Waxahachie, TX
- Northeast of town. I-35E exit 403. East on US 287 for a couple of miles, then exit onto Hwy 813/Brown St. North around two miles to the Mansion (#3636). The Mansion is only open on Halloween, but you can take pictures outside of the gate. The McKee's note that Hwy 813 is a dangerous road and they ask visitors to please be careful if they park (there's a sort-of side road about 100 yards away).
- Gated private property visible from street.
Make sure you stop in the Visitor's Center for maps. There are live snakes, scorpions, and tarantulas behind glass on display so you can learn to ID them. There is a nice gift shop there as well.[Buck Rogers, 10/27/2016]
Vasquez Rocks County Park
- 10700 Escondido Canyon Rd, Santa Clarita, CA
- Vasquez Rocks County Park. From Los Angeles, I-5 northbound to 14 east (Antelope Valley Freeway) about 25 miles, exit right onto Agua Dulce Canyon Road. Once off 14, turn left, drive under the highway and across the Sierra Pacific Railroad. Watch for Vasquez Rock Park signs, Escondido Canyon Road.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Great park for kids! My 15 year old daughter and my 4 year old niece loves it. Pay close attention to the details.[Jennifer Oakley, 10/27/2016]
Jeremy Rochman Memorial Park
- 31 Homewood Drive, Carbondale, IL
- Jeremy Rochman Memorial Park. From Carbondale drive east two miles on Hwy 13, then turn south at the Wal-Mart onto Hwy 12/Giant City Rd. Drive 3.5 miles. Turn left, onto Homewood Drive to the parking lot. If you cross No Name Rd you've gone too far.
- 9 am - dusk
- Free, but donations are welcome.
- RA Rates:
- Major Fun
This mushroom lives on an island guarded by cranes, from what we could see when we pulled up from behind on CR M. Gotta love large tributes to fungi.[L. V., 10/26/2016]
- Hwy M, Nevada, MO
- Hwy 71 three miles north of Nevada, east on CR M. Location approximate.