Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
Mandan, North Dakota - Liquor Store Indian
A very impressive totem pole on the corner of 3rd Street SE and 6th Avenue SE, just two blocks off the main drag in Mandan, outside Stage Stop Liquors.[Phil Cohen, 07/21/2014]
This giant Indian head was carved by Peter "Wolf" Toth, who takes his Native Americans very seriously. It's probably been standing since the 1970s, and probably before the liquor store arrived.
- 611 6th Ave. SE, Mandan, ND
- Stage Stop Liquors. Southwest corner of 3rd St. SE and 6th Ave. SE.
- Berne, Indiana - Muensterberg Plaza and Clock Tower
This is a 160-foot-tall replica of the clock tower in Bern, Switzerland.[Joe, 07/21/2014]
The massive tower, built at a cost of $3.5 million, has its own Glockenspiel and is the biggest building in Berne. It was dedicated July 31, 2010.
Muensterberg Plaza and Clock Tower
- N. Church Ave., Berne, IN
- Muensterberg Plaza and Clock Tower. Downtown. On the northeast corner of Hwy 218/Main St. and US Hwy 27/Church Ave.
Niagara Falls, New York - Twist O' The Mist
At Twist O' The Mist, great ice cream, friendly service...and a chair shaped like a hand for photo ops.[Tara, 07/21/2014]
- 18 Niagara St, Niagara Falls, NY
- Rainbow Blvd. and Niagara St.
- Always visible. Seasonal hours and days.
Amarillo, Texas - Cadillac Ranch
Cadillac Ranch is a little bit trashy, but we're glad we stopped.[Megstar1220@hotmail.com, 07/21/2014]
- I-40, Amarillo, TX
- Just west of the Amarillo city line. I-40 exit 60. Drive south to the frontage road (old Route 66), then turn left. Drive east one mile. Cadillac Ranch will be on the right (south) side; just park your car along the shoulder and enter the pasture through an unlocked gate. Visitors are encouraged; dog friendly.
- Daylight hours.
- RA Rates:
- Major Fun
- Breaux Bridge, Louisiana - Animatronic Swamp Puppet Show
Robopuppets are fixed, and the short show includes black light effects. Plus, free coffee![Paul, 07/21/2014]
Atchafalaya Welcome Center
- 1908 Atchafalaya River Hwy, Breaux Bridge, LA
- Underneath the I-10 highway, on the ground. Go down the exit ramp and you are there, it is the main building complex. Nothing else around but swamp.
- Open year round, except New Year's Day, Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, & Christmas Day (Call to verify)
- Free, nada, gratis