Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
Chattanooga, Tennessee - Large Model Railroad Exhibit
One of the largest HO scale model train displays in the U.S. It is 174 feet long and 33 feet wide. Over 3,000 feet of track and 1,200 cars. A lot of the display is modeled after Chattanooga. It's located in the model railroad museum at the Choo Choo Hotel.[David, 03/11/2014]
The Choo Choo Hotel is the former Chattanooga train station. Visitors can choose to spend the night inside a 100-year-old railroad car.
Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel
- 1400 Market St., Chattanooga, TN
- Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel. Downtown. US Hwy 27 exits 1A or !B. Drive east on MLK Blvd for a quarter-mile. Turn right onto Hwy 8/Market St. Drive a half-mile. You'll see the old train station on the left.
- Sa 10-8, Su-F 1-6 (Call to verify)
- Adults $5.
Junction, Texas - Deer Horn Tree
The Deer Horn Tree was created in 1968 by the Kimble Business and Professional Women's Club in Junction, which has one of the state's more popular areas for hunting. It is about 12 feet high, with deer antlers all over the tree. It looks like a Christmas tree, and during the holidays an electric star is placed on top. It is estimated that the county's whitetail deer population is one animal for every 7.5 acres of land.[Christy Miers, 03/11/2014]
- 1502 Main St., Junction, TX
- I-10 exit 456 or 457. Drive into town on Main St. The Tree is on the west side of town, on the north side of the road, at 15th St -- in front of Kimble Processing.
Atlanta, Georgia - Solar Parking Lot
It's officially called the Luckie Street Solar Project. There are at least 26 solar panels mounted on top of the parking lot next to the Turner Building and Ted's Montana Grill. Ted Turner was responsible for the project. The panels provide power to the Turner Building as well as provide shade to the cars parked in the lot.[David, 03/11/2014]
Ted had the panels installed over this parking lot in 2010.
- 157 Luckie St. NW, Atlanta, GA
- Downtown. On the north side of Luckie St. NW just east of its intersection with Centennial Olympic Park Drive NW.
- Seattle, Washington - Soda Company Tasting Room
Like a winery tasting room except soda! DRY brand soda is made in Seattle and has really unusual flavors like juniper berry and cucumber.[Lisa Fu, 03/11/2014]
Never depart on a road trip without a cooler full of cucumber soda.
DRY Soda Co.
- 410 1st Ave. S., Seattle, WA
- DRY Soda Co. South edge of downtown. On the east side of 1st Ave. S. just south of its intersection with S. Jackson St.
- M-F 11-5 (Call to verify)
South Richmond, Virginia - Marker to Dead Confederate Tree
The tree is indeed dead! A good laugh for my eight-year-old daughter, who thinks they forgot to plant the tree.[Jackie Lynn Bell, 03/10/2014]
- Jeff Davis Hwy., South Richmond, VA
- I-95 exit 73, about two miles south of I-64. Turn left onto Maury St. After one mile, turn left onto Jeff Davis Hwy. Drive three-quarters of a mile. The marker is on the east side, at the intersection of Harwood St., in small traffic island triangle opposite the Model Tobacco Company.