Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
Crystal River, Florida - Big Gorilla Statue
This giant gorilla stands along Hwy 19 asking passersby for food, money, or maybe just offering a lending hand as a seat. On the other hand, maybe he is just trying to cop a feel. I do know one thing for sure: he is heavy duty! After numerous posing positions, and his arm still being attached (thank goodness!), we gave him a kiss and were on our way.
Unfortunately, someone felt the need to paint the gorillas toes -- one foot has yellow while the other is a deep red color. There's also some yellow paint on his body and face. But no worries, Gorilla: you're still perfect, with some killer teeth, and that's why we love you.[Cheryl Ann Rondinelli, 04/23/2014]
- 1960 US Hwy 19, Crystal River, FL
- On the southbound side of US Hwy 19/N. Suncoast Blvd, between 22nd and 19th Sts, just north of the Crystal River Mall. Set back from the road just a little, in front of a little empty building.
Crescent City, California - Big Scissors
Not gone. Take Anchor way PAST 170... Past the RV park. Look to the right past the little restaurant! Still there![Joe Teeples, 04/23/2014]
Kim's Hair Studio
- 170 Anchor Way, Crescent City, CA
- Kim's Hair Studio. Approx. 1 mile south of town at the harbor. South: turn right on Anchor Way off US 101. North: turn left on Anchor Way off US 101. Past the RV park.
Marshalltown, Iowa - Spritzing Elephants and Crocodile
I'm sure it's better in the summer when the water is on.[Peg & Bubba Harmon, 04/23/2014]
1st Rate Real Estate
- S. Center St., Marshalltown, IA
- 1st Rate Real Estate. US 30 exit 185. Drive north for one mile into town on Hwy 14/S. Center St. The elephants will be on the right, just north of the intersection of Center and Olive Sts.
- Marshalltown, Iowa - Spritzing Elephants and Crocodile
Five bronze elephants and a crocodile, frozen in frolic, stand in a cement pond in front of an Iowa real estate office. Roadsideamerica.com Report... [04/23/2014]
- Twentynine Palms, California - Outdoor Collection of Vintage Neon Signs
Decent collection of motel signs and it's easy to get to off the highway, but wouldn't make a special trip. Property up for sale, no person or dog in sight.[R C, 04/23/2014]
- Pine Ave., Twentynine Palms, CA
- Southwest edge of town. From Hwy 62/Twentynine Palms Hwy, look for the El Rancho Dolores Motel on the north side. When you see it, turn south onto Pine Ave. Drive south two blocks to Old Dale Rd. The signs can be see along the south side of Old Dale Rd, and also further south along the west side of Pine Ave.