Reports, news, and stories on quirky roadside attractions! Not all tips verified -- call ahead! Submit your own tip.
The Duke Ellington Memorial is in the northeast corner of Central Park.[Rich Frejomil, 09/24/2016]
There since 1997, a triumph of prank-discouraging design. Even if a drunk could shimmy up a pillar, the piano top doesn't look inviting.
Duke Ellington Circle
- New York, NY
- NE corner of Central Park, 5th Ave. and Duke Ellington Circle.
Go when it is cold and rainy and it will be steaming![TL, 09/23/2016]
- 35554 US Hwy 550, Durango, CO
- US Hwy 550, 14 mi. north of Durango.
This would make a good home for the homeless.[Julie Mattox, 09/23/2016]
Or perhaps for the aircraft carrierless.
Puget Sound Naval Shipyard
- Navy Yard Hwy., Bremerton, WA
- Hwy 3 exit 36 towards Bremerton, along Sinclair Inlet. Ships visible from Navy Yard Hwy. Puget Sound Naval Shipyard's Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility.
- Facility off limits, ships visible from public highway.
- Altoona, Iowa - Moai Dude: Laid-Back Easter Island Head
This is in a great park if you have kids 2-?, nice place to let them run around and break up a road trip. Water fountain, port-a-potty and covered picnic area.[Meg, 09/23/2016]
- 3rd Ave. SW, Altoona, IA
- South edge of town. In a little park on the west side of 3rd Ave. SW, just north of its intersection with 24th St. SW. Two blocks west of 1st Ave. S, which is I-80 exit 143.
Antique Mobil gas station in the quiet, somewhat crumbling town of Bunker Hill.[Bill Bliss, 09/23/2016]
Although it looks like it's been there forever, the station had decayed into an unrecognizable shed before it was completely rebuilt in 2014. No gas, of course; it's just for show.
- 5th St., Bunker Hill, KS
- At the corner of 5th and Elm Sts, just south of the train tracks and just north of the town post office.