Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
- Oak Grove, Alabama - Housewife-Whacking Meteor Fell Here
A historical marker flags the the only known spot where a person was hit by a meteorite. Housewife Ann Hodges survived the too-close encounter. Roadsideamerica.com Report... [11/23/2014]
Tuscaloosa, Alabama - Alabama's Housewife-Whacking Meteorite
This is the actual meteorite that fell to earth and hit housewife Ann Hodges on November 30, 1954. The most famous exhibit in the museum. Roadsideamerica.com Report... [11/23/2014]
Catoosa, Oklahoma - Blue Whale
Definitely worth it. The tamale cart/house next to the Blue Whale is delicious.[Crystal Morris, 11/23/2014]
Biloxi, Mississippi - Biloxi Katrina Trees
Located along scenic Highway 90 in Biloxi are several sculptures that used to be trees. They were damaged/broken in half during Hurricane Katrina.[Richard, 11/23/2014]
- Along US Hwy 90 in Mississippi, from Louisiana to Alabama.
- Tulsa, Oklahoma - Grave of Sam Kinison
Sam Kinison was a no-holds-barred, politically-incorrect comedian during the 1980s who was as famous for his off-stage drug and alcohol abuse as for his on-stage comedy monologues. He was reportedly sober and in AA at the time of his death at age 38, but was killed when his car was struck head-on by a drunk driver.
His bronze flush-with-the-ground grave marker carries this epitaph: "In another time and place he would have been called prophet."[RS, 11/23/2014]
Memorial Park Cemetery
- 5111 S. Memorial Drive, Tulsa, OK
- Memorial Park Cemetery. Southeast edge of the city. Cemetery entrance is on the southeast corner of S. Memorial Drive and E. 51st St. S. The grave is in Section 28, Lot 92, Space 3.
- Summer daily 7 am - 7:30 pm; off-season closes at 5:30 pm.