Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
- Saratoga Springs, New York - Statue Of Seabiscuit
Seabiscuit was a race horse that no one expected to win, but he did. 1941 bronze statue of the beloved champion stands near the National Museum of Racing. Roadsideamerica.com Report... [10/24/2014]
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin - Tractor On A Stick
Just north of the intersection of Cty Hwy S and 150th Street (old Hwy 178) is a Farmall tractor sitting on top of a pole for no apparent reason, except to possibly keep it safe from the horse statues sitting beneath it.[2TearDroppers, 10/23/2014]
- 8910 150th St., Chippewa Falls, WI
- North of town, west of Hwy 178, turn left/west on Cty. Hwy. S, turn right on 150th St.
Kings Beach, California - Large Mosaic Trout Sculpture
Sculpture of a giant leaping trout, with both the fish and water made of tiles from recycled glass and ceramic pottery. It balances on its tail on the north shore of Lake Tahoe, outside a restaurant in Kings Beach.[teamReames, 10/23/2014]
The trout titan was sculpted by Peter Hazel in 2014.
- 7739 N. Lake Blvd, Kings Beach, CA
- Lanza's Restaurant. On the north side of Hwy 28/N. Lake Blvd a quarter-mile west of its stop light intersection with Hwy 267/N. Shore Rd.
Ansted, West Virginia - Mystery Hole
Glad that we stopped at the Mystery Hole. The place was full of visitors! If you get motion sickness, though, you may have a hard time in the hole![teamReames, 10/23/2014]
New Orleans, Louisiana - Insectarium: Largest Bug Museum in U.S.
There's an insect armor photo op. There's also a short 3D film featuring the voice talents of Jay Leno![Matthew Krist, 10/23/2014]
- 423 Canal St., New Orleans, LA
- Audubon Insectarium. Downtown, on the southeastern edge of the French Quarter. From west: I-10 exit 234B (Poydras St.). Stay on Poydras about one mile, then turn left onto S. Peters St. then right onto Canal St. From east: I-10 exit 235B (Canal/Superdome) and turn right onto Canal St.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour