Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
St. Petersburg, Florida - World's Largest Collection of Autographed Baseballs
Sure, Dennis Schrader's baseballs are signed by baseball players, but also by celebrities ranging from Elvis to Fidel Castro to Amelia Earhart to moon-man Neil Armstrong. 4,800+ baseballs tell us the history of us. Roadsideamerica.com Report... [03/01/2015]
Savannah, Georgia - Flea Market Mascot Big Cow
This giant-size cow is outside a huge flea market.[Carolyn Earle, 03/01/2015]
The flea market's official greeter has been accessorized with a leg gold watch and tail diamond ring, an "I (heart) Fleas" cowbell, a lady's hat, and dangling earrings. Her eyes bulge as she searches for bargains.
Keller's Flea Market
- 5901 Ogeechee Rd, Savannah, GA
- I-95 exit 94. Drive east on Hwy 204, then exit at Ogeechee Rd. The cow will be directly ahead, at the entrance to Keller's Flea Market.
- Sa - Su 8 am -6 pm. (Call to verify)
Las Vegas, Nevada - Blue Angel Weather Vane
The motel buildings are pretty much totally gone now. Heard they were going to build a new mini mall, but the developer is saving the statue.[Joie, 02/28/2015]
- 2110 Fremont St., Las Vegas, NV
- Blue Angel Motel, east of Las Vegas Blvd., Fremont Street at North 21st St.
- 2015: Hotel demolished, statue saved!
Austin, Texas - Cathedral of Junk
Totally rad! Make sure to call ahead. Guy that runs it is over being a tour guide I think, but definitely worth a stop.[Joie, 02/28/2015]
- 4422 Lareina Dr., Austin, TX
- On the south side of town. US 81/290 to the Hwy 71 (Ben White Blvd E.) exit. Hwy 71 west to the Congress Ave. exit. Head south a couple of blocks, turn right on St. Elmo Rd W., then take the second left onto Lareina.
- Private home. By appt. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
- Ponchatoula, Louisiana - Old Hardhide - Town Gator in a Cage
Gator was cool but slightly depressing, since he is alone in a small enclosure. There are tons of antique stores nearby, which make the detour worthwhile.[Zack, 02/28/2015]