Reports, news, and stories on quirky roadside attractions! Not all tips verified -- call ahead! Submit your own tip.
- Frackville, Pennsylvania - Granny's Motel and Kitchen
The motel is again in business. Be careful when pulling into the parking lot. Maybe it's the huge potholes in the driving surface that make the child in Granny's arms look so frightened![E. W. Burdorff, 05/24/2016]
- Washington, Utah - License Plate Pole
Kimball Gardner collects old junk for his yard along Washington Dam Rd. His 81-foot-high pole is covered with license plates from all 50 states.[NINK, 05/24/2016]
- E. Washington Dam Rd, Washington, UT
- On the south side of E. Washington Dam Rd, just east of its intersection with S. Washington Fields Rd.
This 1,500-pound bronze statue depicts a young Joe Naper as he surveys the land that will become Naperville. It looks, however, as though he is about to crush the world in his hand, or choke an insubordinate, with the powers that only a Sith Lord could wield. There is a bench nearby for jumping off for that perfect Sith photo.[SKK, 05/24/2016]
With his windswept hair and melodramatic pose, Joe Naper could also be summoning his lightsaber.
- W. Jefferson Ave., Naperville, IL
- West edge of downtown. On the southeast corner of S. Mill St. and W. Jefferson Ave. One block west of the Cat in the Hat statue.
- Niland, California - East Jesus
East Jesus art garden is the most amazing attraction further down the road from Salvation Mountain. It's a collection of art created from trash and a completely self contained community; over 10 acres of created trash art. Recently named the only official museum in Imperial county.[ma baas, 05/24/2016]
East Jesus describes itself as an "experimental, habitable, extensible artwork," and notes that everything there (including the art and wildlife) is dangerous. Unruly children and careless adults are not welcome.
- Sidewinder Rd, Niland, CA
- Continue past Salvation Mountain on Beal Rd until it ends. Turn left onto Coachella Canal Rd, then make second left onto Sidewinder Rd, which ends at East Jesus. The area is prone to flash floods; if it looks like rain, stay away.
- Daily sunrise-sunset.
- Donations appreciated
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Well into his 90s, retired plumber-turned-artist continues to fill his garage museum with 1,200+ fanciful toilet lid artworks that chronicle his life and the world around him. Roadsideamerica.com Report... [05/22/2016]