Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
Traverse City, Michigan - Old Mission Lighthouse Rock Cairns
Hundreds of rock cairns dot the shallow waters in front of the Old Mission Lighthouse. These are ever changing man-made rock towers that are strategically balanced by artists and visitors.[Kelly Soprych, 08/30/2014]
Old Mission State Park
- Hwy 37, Traverse City, MI
- Old Mission State Park, 20 miles north of Traverse City on Hwy 37/Center Rd north to the end.
Pineville, Kentucky - Chained Rock - Boulders Chained Together
I would put this attraction under experienced hikers only, or bring some water and good boots to hike in! We were not prepared for the walk ahead. Whew![Kayla, 08/30/2014]
Pine Mountain State Resort Park
- Chained Rock Rd, Pineville, KY
- Overlooks Pineville from Pine Mountain State Resort Park. To get to it you have to take many winding roads to get into the Park, then take Chained Rock Rd for a drive up a mountain to its end, then hike about a mile to the Chained Rock.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
- Moen-avi, Arizona - Dinosaur Tracks
We gave a $10 tip and bought two pairs of earrings, and our guide was happy with that. She was very informative.[Molly Chrinister, 08/30/2014]
Tuba City Dinosaur Track Site
- US Hwy 160, Moen-avi, AZ
- Tuba City Dinosaur Track Site. On the north side of US Hwy 160, five miles east of US Hwy 89 or a little over five miles west of the turnoff for Tuba City. Turn north onto the dirt track, then drive about a quarter-mile to the vending tables. Lock your vehicle.
- Daylight hours.
Bridgeport, Ohio - Soldier Covering His Ears
There is a military display in the center of town in Bridgeport. It features cannons, statues of soldiers, a statue of an eagle, and other patriotic items. The funniest statue is of a soldier who is standing next to a cannon. He has his hands covering his ears.
Just north of here and visible from the park is a large mural dedicated to the history of Bridgeport.[signmanjoe, 08/29/2014]
- 301 Main St., Bridgeport, OH
- Northwest corner of the intersection of US Hwy 40 and Hwy 7 in downtown Bridgeport, just west of the Hwy 7 overpass.
Baltimore, Maryland - BUS Stop Shelter
A bus stop shelter shaped like the word "BUS." Outside the Creative Alliance building. Sturdy enough to stand, lay, and pose on.[Uncustomary Art, 08/29/2014]
Built of wood and steel on July 19, 2014, the letters are 14 feet high. The Spanish art group that designed it calls it an "obvious" bus stop.
- 3134 Eastern Ave., Baltimore, MD
- East side of the city, in the Highlandtown neighborhood. On the west side of S. East Ave. just north of its intersection with Eastern Ave.