Reports, news, and stories on quirky roadside attractions! Not all tips verified -- call ahead! Submit your own tip.
The House of Mugs is a sight to behold. It's in western North Carolina near the town of Collettsville, on the Johns River. Mr. Sisk is not only a collector, but a decorator. His entire home, including fence and archway, are covered with tens of thousands of coffee mugs. There is a guest book on the porch for visitors to sign, and I heard that if he is home, he invites you in to see the inside, which is also covered. This is a must see. Especially if you like mugs![Dina B., 06/29/2015]
- Old Johns River Rd, Collettsville, NC
- From Lenoir, drive north on Collettsville Rd for about 12 miles (many hair-pin turns). About a mile past the Collettsville General Store, turn left onto Old Johns River Rd. Drive about three miles, past where the pavement ends. You'll see the house on the right, just before the bridge across the Johns River.
- Free, donations accepted.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
On the corner of Steiner and Broadway and is the location of the famous house from Mrs. Doubtfire starring Robin Williams. The actual address is 2640 Steiner and a true site for any fan.[James Peuster, 06/29/2015]
Some visitors have left ad hoc messages about Robin Williams scrawled on rounded landscaping stones in the flower beds.
- 2640 Steiner, San Francisco, CA
- Northeast corner of Broadway and Steiner.
- Private home. Visible from street.
The outside is a replica of one half of the doomed ocean liner. Inside are costumed actors, and interactive crashing, freezing, drowning, crush depth family fun. Roadsideamerica.com Report... [06/28/2015]
A large dog sits in front of a small downtown dog park. The park is known as The Barking Lot and is primarily used by residents who live in the neighborhood apartments and condos. The dog appears to be similar to a Golden Retriever.[signmanjoe, 06/28/2015]
The property occupied by the Barking Lot is owned by two local artists, so perhaps they created the dog. It replaced an even crazier-looking dog statue that stood there when the park opened in 2011.
- 75 Jefferson Ave., Memphis, TN
- Downtown, on the north side of Jefferson Ave. just east of its intersection with N. Main St.