Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
Savannah, Georgia - Cracked Earth Monument
This is a tribute to World War II, the war that separated the world. Beautiful monument, located on River Street.[Jerseydevil43, 05/23/2013]
Chatham County World War II Monument
- W. River St., Savannah, GA
- At the Chatham County World War II Monument. Along the riverfront, on W. River St., at the Whitaker St. ramp, in front of the Bohemian Hotel.
- Encampment, Wyoming - Two Story Outhouse
When I was looking at your website I stumbled across the listing of two-story outhouses. This made me remember a high school field trip to the Grand Encampment Museum in Encampment, Wyoming. They had a two story outhouse there. When I checked their website, it is now featured.[Doug B, 05/23/2013]
If only algebra was as memorable as a two-story outhouses, we might all be rocket scientists.
Grand Encampment Museum
- 807 Barnett Ave., Encampment, WY
- Approx. 1 Mile South from the junction of Hwy 70 and Hwy 230 to Encampment; At the post office turn East and go 3 blocks to the Park; Turn right and go 1 block; it is on the left.
- Daily June-Oct. 8-6 (Call to verify)
- Donations accepted.
- Ivins, Utah - Traffic Circle Mustangs Sculpture
Beautiful to drive by but you cannot be in the center circle where the horse's are. If you want to take pictures, you have to do it from the surrounding desert area.[Tammy, 05/23/2013]
- Snow Canyon Parkway, Ivins, UT
- East of Ivins. From St George, go north on Bluff Street. Turn left on Snow Canyon Parkway and then go about 3 miles to the roundabout on 1500 Street, about a 1.5 miles south of the entrance to Snow Canyon State Park.
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin - Tommy Bartlett Water Thrill Show
We may not have personal jet packs and hover boots -- yet -- but the Water Thrill Show at Tommy Bartlett's in Wisconsin Dells has introduced something strikingly similar: the Flyboard. "Simply put, this is an exploding hydro-teched, dive bombing Iron Man on steroids," says the attraction's press release in perhaps not-so-simple terms. Brit Karl Pilkington tried, and failed, to operate one of these in an episode of An Idiot Abroad. American audiences will be amazed, promises Tommy Bartlett's.
"At full throttle, the performer propels up to 30 feet in the air demonstrating flips, spins, and somersaults, then dives straight down head first into the water thrusting and breaching up and down through the waves like a human dolphin." We'd suggest seeing this as soon as possible before it's outlawed.[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 05/22/2013]
Altoona, Iowa - Moai Dude: Laid-Back Easter Island Head
Sculptor John Brommel has been populating Iowa with quirky artworks since 2001. This one, unveiled May 18, 2013, is an 11-foot tall, one-ton Easter Island head made of recycled, rusted steel. Brommel modified the sculpture by giving it a satisfied, surfer-dude grin, and christened it Moai Dude. It stands in a play-park that also has a pirate ship and a sea monster.[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 05/22/2013]