Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
Cut And Shoot, Texas - Town Named Cut And Shoot
Even though there is nothing particularly interesting to see in Cut And Shoot, the post office and City Hall are good places to have your photo taken in a town with a very unusual name.
According to local legend, the town got its name in 1912 when a near-riot started in the center of town over where to locate a church. A small boy, wanting to avoid getting caught up in it, supposedly said, "I'm going to cut around the corner and shoot through the bushes."[signmanjoe, 09/29/2014]
- 14391 Hwy 105, Cut And Shoot, TX
- Cut And Shoot is roughly six miles east of Conroe or 16 miles west of Cleveland, which are both north of Houston. City Hall and the Post Office are within a half-mile of each other; both are on the north side of Hwy 105.
Angola, Louisiana - Louisiana State Penitentiary Museum
The museum displays the state's retired electric chair and many other grim penal artifacts. The rodeo is held twice each year, one of only two remaining prison rodeos in the nation. Roadsideamerica.com Report... [09/28/2014]
East Bethany, New York - Big Metal Dragon
A worker out front saw us taking pictures from a distance and called us over so we could get close-ups. He said that the artist is working on adding a tail. He had no idea the dragon was "on the internet." A very helpful guy![Donna, 09/28/2014]
Batavia, New York - Armored Knight
Still guarding the business, and he looks great! The parking lot makes it easy to stop and snap a picture of him.[Donna, 09/28/2014]
Ready to go into battle for your building supply needs.
Armor Building Supply
- 653 Ellicott St., Batavia, NY
- Armor Building Supply, Ellicott Plaza, southeast of town, north of Cedar St.
West Chester, Ohio - Entertrainment Junction
This is a wonderful place to kill a few hours. My children and I enjoyed it very much. There is so much detail to the train set; we walked through the model twice. You can go up to a platform to see the entire area, just about. There's also a kid's play area (so young ones can burn off some energy), an outdoor Thomas the Tank Engine kiddie ride, and a fun house room filled with all kinds of neat stuff, including a house of mirrors. We all had a lot of fun in there.[Patricia, 09/28/2014]
- 7379 Squire Court, West Chester, OH
- EnterTrainment Junction. I-75 exit 22. Turn east onto Tylersville Rd. First right at stoplight (KFC) onto Kingsgate Way. Drive a quarter-mile, then first right again onto Squire Court. Building is the last one on the right.
- M-Sa 10-6, Su 12-6 (Call to verify)
- Adults $14.00