Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
Amston, Connecticut - Eagle Head Rock
On Route 66 in Hebron is Eagle Rock, a patriotic landmark that has been painted since 1989. Signed by a local artist named "Sawyer." The rock is between Stonehouse and Buck Roads, near house #516.[Donna, 08/25/2014]
- Hwy 66, Amston, CT
- Hwy 2 exit 13. Drive northeast for three miles. On the right, a couple hundred yards past the intersection of Buck Rd.
Harvey Cedars, New Jersey - Big Clam Shell
Big decorated clam shell at the Harvey Cedars Town Hall.[Vince, 08/25/2014]
Harvey Cedars Town Hall
- 6003 N Long Beach Blvd, Harvey Cedars, NJ
- Long Beach Blvd. and Salem Ave.
Manning, South Carolina - Amelia Bedelia Statue
The statue of Amelia Bedelia is at Harvin Clarendon County Library. Peggy Parish was a native of Manning.[Seth Swift, 08/25/2014]
Peggy Parish was the author who created Amelia Bedelia, the mischievous, super-literal kid hero of a popular children's book series. Parish died in 1988; statue was dedicated in 1999.
Harvin Clarendon County Library
- 215 N Brooks St, Manning, SC
- Harvin Clarendon County Library, N Brooks St./US Hwy 301 and Oak St.
- Twin Arrows, Arizona - Twin Arrows Trading Post - Ruins
Blocked off by concrete K rails. Trading post looks like it's closed. On the side of highway construction. This is a great drive-by -- take a picture without getting out.[Angela P, 08/25/2014]
- Old Route 66, Twin Arrows, AZ
- Exit 219 off of eastbound I-40. A concrete barrier blocks access directly in front of the ruins, but drive a little further east and the barrier ends. Then you can pull off and park, and walk back on the safe inner side.
- Key West, Florida - Key West Cemetery - Wacky Epitaphs
Our favorite epitaph was: "If you are reading this you need a new hobby." Note: Watch out for the iguanas running around. Once you see one you realize these guys are all over! Most we saw were at least a foot long and longer.[Mavis & Jeff, 08/25/2014]
Southern Keys Cemetery
- Passover Lane, Key West, FL
- Southern Keys Cemetery. Entrance is at the corner of Margaret St. and Passover Lane. At the end of 7th Ave past Laurel St. near the Jewish section of the Cemetery.