Reports, news, and stories on quirky roadside attractions! Not all tips verified -- call ahead! Submit your own tip.
This place was downright spooky. When we entered, the guy running it was singing in what I assume might be Hebrew, and he spoke with a very heavy accent. Walking through the back area, we saw mannequins dressed like biblical figures and a plastic sheep laying on a fire pit. There was also a Garden of Eden area in a separate room that we didn't enter because there was a mother having a "birds and the bees" talk with her daughter in there.
As we were leaving, the proprietor dropped his heavy accent.[Nate Payne, 06/24/2016]
- 615 N. Main St., Mitchell, SD
- Right across the street from the Corn Palace.
The fact that it's a bronze beaver statue, and not fiberglass, speaks volumes about Bucc-ee's. Impressive selection of whatever the Highway Traveler might need to refuel and get back on the road.[David Hidalgo, 06/24/2016]
- Greencastle, Indiana - Periodic Display of the Elements
This free display is in the Julian Science Center at DePauw University. It is the creation of Max Whitby and Theodore Gray and features actual samples of each element for viewing. They are arranged in the order of the periodic table and include real-life examples -- such as Pepto-Bismol in Bismuth -- as well as the elements in their raw form. Even as a non-chemistry-inclined adult, I enjoyed this. The kids really liked it and spent quite a bit of time studying it. It was a great way to make the elements into something tangible for them.[Michelle Funderburg, 06/24/2016]
- 602 S. College Ave., Greencastle, IN
- Inside the Julian Science and Mathematics Center at DePauw University, which is on the west side of S. College Ave. just south of its intersection with E. Hanna St.
- M-F 7-noon; Sa 10-5; Su noon-midnight
The spring isn't completely dry, but are very low. There is a conch shell tied to the posts to pull back the moss growing over the fountain. There's another spring nearby (Black Harry's Spring) that's a little more full for gathering water. A little underwhelming, but good tasting water.[Ben Perdue, 06/23/2016]
Okay, though drinking from Black Harry's Spring completely reverses the effects of the Fountain of Youth spring. We heard.
- Pilottown Rd, Lewes, DE
- Take US 9 to Lewes. Drive to the north edge of town, then turn left onto Front St., which turns into Pilottown Rd. Drive about a mile. You'll pass the intersection of New Rd/Rd 266 on the left. Just past this, a couple hundred yards, to your right, you'll see the Fountain.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Johnny Cash Museum was super cool. Lots of things to read and learn.[Heather, 06/23/2016]