Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
Bristol, Connecticut - New England Carousel Museum
I visited the New England Carousel Museum in November and it was fantastic. There are at least 150 (or more) carousel horses, plus other assorted animals. Upstairs there is a Fire Museum and a Greek Museum, all included in the one admission price.[Signmanjoe, 12/18/2014]
- 95 Riverside Ave., Bristol, CT
- East side of downtown. On the north side of Hwy 72/Riverside Ave. midway between Main and Mellen Sts.
- W-Sa 10-5, Su 12-5 (Call to verify)
- Adults $6.
- La Russell, Missouri - The Pump
La Russell was founded in 1903. The community water pump was installed shortly thereafter, in the middle of Main St. The railroad depot has left, the roads were eventually paved, and Main St. has become part of a state highway. The Pump, however, remains, an anachronistic symbol of the town's pride and resiliency.[Chip Taylor, 12/18/2014]
The town has fought all attempts to evict The Pump, despite its bulls-eye location in the middle of Main St. During the holidays La Russell decorates The Pump with a wreath and twinkly lights.
- 3rd St., La Russell, MO
- Downtown. At the intersection of Hwy U/Main St. and 3rd St.
Carmel, New York - Grieving Gold Star Mother Statue
I visited Carmel's Gold Star Mother statue in November.[Signmanjoe, 12/18/2014]
The Grieving Gold Star Mother was sculpted by the same artist who created the Sapper statue at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri. There have been other statues of Gold Star Mothers, but this 2006 design is the most dramatic.
- Gipsy Trail Rd, Carmel, NY
- From Hwy 52 in Carmel turn east onto Hwy 301/West St. Drive one mile, cross the causeway, then immediately turn right onto Hwy 41/Gipsy Trail Rd. Drive one mile, then bear left into Putnam County Veteran Memorial Park. Drive a quarter-mile, then turn right at the stop sign. You'll see the statue on the left.
Freer, Texas - World's Largest Rattlesnake
The World's Largest Rattlesnake has been decked out for Christmas. Not sure if I would want it coming down my chimney no matter what kind of gifts were in his bag.[Rick Kincaid, 12/18/2014]
Flagstaff, Arizona - Louie the Lumberjack
Wood carving of Louie the Lumberjack along with a retired red tractor, advertises Granny's Closet.[A. Lewis, 12/18/2014]
- 218 S. Milton Rd, Flagstaff, AZ
- I-40 exit 195. Drive north on I-17, which quickly becomes Milton Rd and merges with old Route 66. Drive two miles. Louie will be on the right (east) side, outside a restaurant named Granny's Closet.