Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
- Ivins, Utah - Traffic Circle Mustangs Sculpture
Beautiful to drive by but you cannot be in the center circle where the horse's are. If you want to take pictures, you have to do it from the surrounding desert area.[Tammy, 05/23/2013]
- Snow Canyon Parkway, Ivins, UT
- East of Ivins. From St George, go north on Bluff Street. Turn left on Snow Canyon Parkway and then go about 3 miles to the roundabout on 1500 Street, about a 1.5 miles south of the entrance to Snow Canyon State Park.
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin - Tommy Bartlett Water Thrill Show
We may not have personal jet packs and hover boots -- yet -- but the Water Thrill Show at Tommy Bartlett's in Wisconsin Dells has introduced something strikingly similar: the Flyboard. "Simply put, this is an exploding hydro-teched, dive bombing Iron Man on steroids," says the attraction's press release in perhaps not-so-simple terms. Brit Karl Pilkington tried, and failed, to operate one of these in an episode of An Idiot Abroad. American audiences will be amazed, promises Tommy Bartlett's.
"At full throttle, the performer propels up to 30 feet in the air demonstrating flips, spins, and somersaults, then dives straight down head first into the water thrusting and breaching up and down through the waves like a human dolphin." We'd suggest seeing this as soon as possible before it's outlawed.[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 05/22/2013]
Altoona, Iowa - Moai Dude: Laid-Back Easter Island Head
Sculptor John Brommel has been populating Iowa with quirky artworks since 2001. This one, unveiled May 18, 2013, is an 11-foot tall, one-ton Easter Island head made of recycled, rusted steel. Brommel modified the sculpture by giving it a satisfied, surfer-dude grin, and christened it Moai Dude. It stands in a play-park that also has a pirate ship and a sea monster.[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 05/22/2013]
Medicine Hat, Alberta - World's Largest Chess Board
Guinness World Record holder for largest chess set. The chess set measures 5.89 metres on each side and the king pieces stand 47 inches tall. The board was entered in the record books in 2009, four years after its completion. You can find the chess set in a courtyard outside the Medicine Hat Public Library in the summer months.[Nick Fruhling, 05/22/2013]
- 414 1 St SE, Medicine Hat, AB, Canada
- Medicine Hat Public Library, 4 Ave SE and 1 St. SE near the river.
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky - Rabbit Hash General Store
We stopped in the area while there was a bluegrass festival going on. We had a blast and while there were a bunch of motorcycles, we were felt more than welcomed by everyone![Jami Guess, 05/22/2013]
- Lower River Rd, Rabbit Hash, KY
- I-75 exit 178. West on Mt Zion Rd. At US Hwy 42, Mt. Zion turns into Hathaway Rd (Hwy 536). Keep going straight; this road eventually becomes Rabbit Hash Rd. It then intersects with East Bend Rd (Hwy 338) and Rabbit Hash Hill Rd. Take Rabbit Hash Hill Rd down toward the River where it intersects with Lower River Rd. Take the left fork that crosses a little bridge to get to the General Store.