Reports, news, and stories on quirky roadside attractions! Not all tips verified -- call ahead! Submit your own tip.
A red elephant with yellow polka dots stands next to the street in front of Tom's Needful Things. It brightens things up in this desert community.[S Winston, 05/24/2016]
The elephant dates to the previous owner of the store, who unwisely had it painted gray like a real elephant. Its new color scheme is a significant improvement.
- U.S. Hwy 191, Safford, AZ
- Two miles south of downtown, on the southbound side of U.S. Hwy 191, just south of its intersection with Discovery Park Blvd.
- Safford, Arizona - Largest Camera Obscura
One of the world's largest camera obscuras is at the Discovery Center in Safford. There's also a museum, a Space Shuttle simulator ride, and special telescopes for viewing the Sun, planets, and stars.[S Winston, 05/24/2016]
We'd visit just for the Space Shuttle simulator ride, and for the chance to look at the sun without burning out our eyes.
- 1651 W. Discovery Park Blvd, Safford, AZ
- In the Gov Aker Observatory on the Discovery Park Campus of Eastern Arizona College. Southwest edge of the city. From Safford drive south two miles on US Hwy 191. Turn west at the stoplight onto Discovery Park Blvd. Drive west until the street ends, turn left, then quickly turn left again. You'll see the Observatory in the distance up ahead,
- M-F 8-4, Sa 4-9:30 (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
There is a collection of wacky sculptures on poles next to the G.I. Body Shop in Grand Island. These are cartoon cars and airplanes, visible from the street.[Patrick Southam, 05/24/2016]
The sculptures, with names such as Hell on Wheels (with a devil's tail) and the Model T Shrekmobile, were built from 2009 to 2012 by Fred Schritt, who owns the body shop next door.
- E. 4th St., Grand Island, NE
- East side of town, on the south side of E. 4th St. at the intersection of N. Plum St., just west of the railroad overpass.
- Frackville, Pennsylvania - Granny's Motel and Kitchen
The motel is again in business. Be careful when pulling into the parking lot. Maybe it's the huge potholes in the driving surface that make the child in Granny's arms look so frightened![E. W. Burdorff, 05/24/2016]
- Washington, Utah - License Plate Pole
Kimball Gardner collects old junk for his yard along Washington Dam Rd. His 81-foot-high pole is covered with license plates from all 50 states.[NINK, 05/24/2016]
- E. Washington Dam Rd, Washington, UT
- On the south side of E. Washington Dam Rd, just east of its intersection with S. Washington Fields Rd.