Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
American Fork, Utah - American Fork Stonehenge
We drove down here looking for a place to eat and were surprised to see this version of Stonehenge outside of a nursing/elder health care facility in American Fork.[Mulvaney, 10/22/2014]
This modern-day 'henge was built in August 2012.
Chesterfield, New Hampshire - Stairway to Nowhere
I stopped by Madame Sherri's Forest to see the "Stairway to Nowhere." It's maybe 200 yards from the parking area. Not only is the stone staircase there, but the stone remains of the house, including a cellar full of creepy graffiti, is nearby.[Tom Breen, 10/22/2014]
Built by the colorful "Madame Sherri" in 1931, the castle formerly connected to the stairway burned to the ground in 1962.
Madame Sherri Forest
- Castle Rd, Chesterfield, NH
- Madame Sherri Forest. From Hwy 9/Franklin Pierce Hwy turn south at People's United Bank onto Hwy 63. Drive 1.5 miles. Turn right onto Stage Rd, then bear left onto Castle Rd. The parking lot will be on the left. A short walk takes you over a wooden bridge across an old artificial pond. A few yards up the path youll see the ruins of the castle.
Coolville, Ohio - Ohio's Smallest Church
This was such a neat find! Right across the street from a rest area.[teamReames, 10/22/2014]
There's nothing more calming for the soul than a tiny church.
- County Road 63, Coolville, OH
- Ohio's Smallest Church is across the street from an Ohio rest stop. It is just off of US Route 50 between Athens, Ohio and Belpre, Ohio on county road 63, east of Coolville.
- Donations accepted.
Cotton Hill, West Virginia - Indian Head Rock
Rock shaped like the head of an Indian. About a mile south of Chimney Corner on Rt. 16 located above a small concrete bridge before you get to the Charles C Rogers bridge.[teamReames, 10/22/2014]
- Rt. 16, Cotton Hill, WV
- Rt. 16 north of Cotton Hill 1.6 mi. on right/east at concrete bridge. Drive-by only.
Archer City, Texas - Last Picture Show Theater - The Royal Theatre
If you are fan of the novel or the movie and you have time, it is a fun ride down Texas roads. The town itself is fun, like stepping into the movie almost. In addition to the theater, which is now an outdoor stage for concerts and plays, there is Booked Up (Larry McMurtry's book store), and a dang good Dairy Queen.[Jan, 10/22/2014]
The Royal Theatre
- 113 E Main St, Archer City, TX
- Downtown Archer City, Main St., east of Center St.