Tips, leads, stories from travelers, plus Roadsideamerica.com Team reports on quirky museums, ironic monuments, and must-see oddities! Trip planning caution: Some tips may not be verified. Over time, attractions change, move, burn down. What's a vacation without a little risk? Submit your own tip.
Fairview, Kentucky - Zero Milestone of the Jeff Davis Highway
Erected in 1930, the Zero Milestone was the symbolic starting point of the coast-to-coast Jefferson Davis Highway, created by the South to rival the Yankees' Lincoln Highway. Roadsideamerica.com Report... [09/21/2014]
Washington, DC - George Washington's Hippo
The hippo statue in a cute area of the college section of DC. Good luck finding parking![Vance Erwin, 09/20/2014]
- 21st St. NW, Washington, DC
- On the campus of George Washington University, on the southwest corner of H St. NW and 21st St. NW, in front of Lisner Auditorium.
Johnson City, Tennessee - Most Powerful Musical Bi-Polar Tesla Coil
My latest Tesla Coil donation was made to the Hands On! Regional Museum in Johnson City, Tennessee: the Most Powerful Musical Bi-Polar Tesla Coil, certified by Guinness World Records in August 2014. The official Guinness World Records certificate presentation will take place on November 3, 2014, at 2 PM. That date is being proclaimed "Tesla Day" by Johnson City.
I am donating additional Tesla Coils to qualifying museums within the USA until 2022 through my Tesla Coil Museum Exhibit Program.[Richard Mathias, 09/20/2014]
Richard Mathias is the Pied Piper of Tesla Coils; he also donated the powerful Coil that cracks thunderbolts at the Mid-America Science Museum in Hot Springs, Arkansas. This new Coil uses electromagnetic frequencies to play 18 different songs.
Hands On! Regional Museum
- 315 E. Main St., Johnson City, TN
- Hands On! Regional Museum. Downtown, on the north side of Hwy 91/E. Main St., midway between Colonial Way and S. Roan St.
- M-F 9-5, Sa 10-5, Su 1-5; closed Mondays off-season. (Call to verify)
- Adults $8.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Hot Springs, Arkansas - Tattooed Rooster on a Pole
Spa City Tattoo uses a big tattooed rooster to draw attention. Standing atop a 30-foot-tall pole, the big white rooster has a tattoo that reads, "Don't be a chicken." He also has a football helmet tattoo plus the name of the tattoo shop.[signmanjoe, 09/20/2014]
Spa City Tattoo
- 1542 Central Ave., Hot Springs, AR
- Spa City Tattoo. Just south of downtown, on the west side of Hwy 7/Central Ave., just north of its intersection with Hobson Ave.
Hot Springs, Arkansas - Rooster Statue in Art Park
The sculpture park in downtown Hot Spring has a lot of interesting works. One of the more memorable ones is titled "Strutting His Stuff" by Ann Maguire Edmondson -- a large, colorful rooster. There is also a crooked house reminiscent of something from a Dr. Seuss story.
The park is in The Greenway, just east of the downtown transit center and south of the convention center.[signmanjoe, 09/20/2014]
Hot Springs Sculpture Park
- 100 Broadway Terrace, Hot Springs, AR
- Hot Springs Sculpture Park. From Hwy 7/Central Ave. turn east onto Market St. At the intersection of Broadway St. the bus terminal is straight ahead on the left, and the sculpture park is just east of it.
- Sculptures are not permanent.