Skip to Main Content

Derby Line, Vermont: Library Straddling USA and Canada

Straddle the black-painted border line on the floor of the Reading Room, quietly please.

Haskell Free Library

1 Church St., Derby Line, VT
Haskell Free Library in Stanstead, Quebec and Derby Line, Vermont. Either I-91 north to Caswell Ave. or Hwy 55 south to Blvd Notre Dame Quest.
M-F 9-5, Sa 9-2 (Call to verify) Local health policies may affect hours and access.
Save to My Sights

Visitor Tips and News About Library Straddling USA and Canada

Reports and tips from visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.

US meets Canada in the library.

Library Straddling USA and Canada

We crossed the US border to go to this library straddling the US and Canada. There is a black line inside the reading room marking the border. I quietly jumped across the border a few times.

The main entrance is in the US, so if you're coming from Canada, you should check in with US customs on Main Street. A sign on Church Street indicates that violators are subject to a large fine.

[Dan Kaplan, 09/29/2010]
Library Straddling USA and Canada

Built in 1901 in memory of Carlos F. Haskell and opened in 1904, the Haskell Free Library and Opera house building is probably one of a kind because it was built right on the US and Canada border! 40% of the building is in Derby Line, Vermont, and the other 60% is in Rock Island (Stanstead), Quebec. Painted on the floor is a bright red line that separates the US from the Canadian side. It was featured in "Ripley's Believe It Or Not."

If you go west on Railroad Street, the name of the street changes to Canusa (alias for Canada-Usa). The houses on one side of the street are in the US and in Canada on the other side.

[Gen, 02/08/2005]

Nearby Offbeat Places

Bread and Puppet Museum - Creepy Giant PuppetsBread and Puppet Museum - Creepy Giant Puppets, Glover, VT - 23 mi.
South Bolton RocketSouth Bolton Rocket, South Bolton, PQ, Canada - 17 mi.
Museum of Everyday LifeMuseum of Everyday Life, Glover, VT - 26 mi.
In the region:
Cow-Shaped Observation Tower, St-Georges-de-Windsor, PQ, Canada - 48 mi.

Latest Tips Across Roadside America

Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.

Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!

Unique destinations in the U.S. and Canada are our special obsession. Use our attraction recommendation and maps to plan your next road trip.

My Sights

My Sights on Roadside America

Save Cool Vacation Destinations! ...Try My Sights

Mobile Apps

Roadside America app: iPhone, iPad Roadside America app for iPhone, iPad. On-route maps, 1,000s of photos, special research targets! ...More

Roadside Presidents app: iPhone, iPad Roadside Presidents app for iPhone, iPad. POTUS landmarks, oddities. ...More

Vermont Latest Tips and Stories

Latest Visitor Tips

Sight of the Week

Sight of the Week

Punk Rock Museum, Las Vegas, Nevada (Dec 4-10, 2023)

SotW Archive

USA and Canada Tips and Stories

More Sightings