Nuclear missile museum approved by Congress
The House and Senate have passed legislation that will fund the $5 million conversion of a deactivated Minuteman Missile base in South Dakota into a Cold War museum. The Minuteman Missile National Historic Site would be near Ellsworth Air Force Base, at the entrance to the Badlands.
The Kennedy era Minuteman complex, touting 150 Ready for Russkie Death missiles, was shut down in 1994. The National Park Service will operate the museum when it opens.[11/28/1999]
- Hwy 240 Badlands Loop, Ellsworth AFB, SD
- Park HQ is on south side of Exit 131 off I-90, beside the gas station. Launch Control Facility Delta-01 is 4 mile west of headquarters. Launch Facility Delta-09 (missile silo) is south of I-90 just off exit 116, approximately 15 miles west of park headquarters (Coords: 43.93381, -102.15859)
- Summer tours M-F 9 am, 1:30 pm, other M-F 10 am. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Latest from Trunkations, the RoadsideAmerica.com Blog
- Nov 1: Flick’s Lick: Triple Dog Dare for Hammond, IN
- Oct 3: Brawny Men of San Francisco Bay
- Oct 2: Some National Museums Beyond National Bickering
- Sep 22: Tales from Trundle Manor
- Aug 29: Evolution of the Cow Chip Toss: Wisconsin
- Aug 15: Legend of Hermann the German: Footnote in History?