Nuclear missile museum approved by Congress
The House and Senate have passed legislation that will fund the $5 million conversion of a deactivated Minuteman Missile base in South Dakota into a Cold War museum. The Minuteman Missile National Historic Site would be near Ellsworth Air Force Base, at the entrance to the Badlands.
The Kennedy era Minuteman complex, touting 150 Ready for Russkie Death missiles, was shut down in 1994. The National Park Service will operate the museum when it opens.[11/28/1999]
- Hwy 240 Badlands Loop, Ellsworth AFB, SD
- Park HQ is on south side of Exit 131 off I-90, beside the gas station. Launch Control Facility Delta-01 is 4 mile west of headquarters. Launch Facility Delta-09 (missile silo) is south of I-90 just off exit 116, approximately 15 miles west of park headquarters (Coords: 43.93381, -102.15859)
- Summer tours M-F 9 am, 1:30 pm, other M-F 10 am. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Latest from Trunkations, the RoadsideAmerica.com Blog
- Nov 30: Michael Delligatti, Father of the Big Mac (1918-2016)
- Nov 26: Spiderwebman II, We Hope
- Nov 22: Sleep Well, Button King (1930-2016)
- Nov 21: One Log House To Transcend Its One Loggedness
- Nov 14: We’ll Cross That Bridge When We… Oh Wait. Never Mind.
- Nov 7: Junior Banks for President