Spook Cave for Sale
For only the third time in its 45 year existence, Spook Cave of McGregor, IA, is for sale. The natural cave enhanced with dynamite is on 93-acres in the northeastern corner of the state, the only all-water commercial cave in the region. We found it a memorable and eerie cave boat journey up the single, low ceilinged passage, where inattentive visitors occasionally donate hair and a bit of scalp.
In addition to the cave and its underground river, the sale will include Spook Cave Lodge, a two-acre lake, and 75 camping spots. About 60% of the business is done in July and August. The current owner, Mary Fitch, has run the place since 1984, and the cave is in good repair (rewired in 1997). Fitch is retiring to a spot nearby, so neophyte owners will not be left in a moment of total darkness.[03/19/2000]
- 13299 Spook Cave Rd, McGregor, IA
- From Marquette on the Wisconsin/Iowa boarder: Drive west on US Hwy 18 for 7.5 miles, then turn north on Spook Cave Rd for another two miles. (If you reach the junction of US Hwy 52 on US Hwy 18 you've driven too far west.)
- May-Oct. 9-5:30 (Call to verify)
- Adults $12.
- RA Rates:
- Major Fun
Latest from Trunkations, the RoadsideAmerica.com Blog
- Feb 16: Palace On A Budget: No Bread For Corn
- Feb 8: Dust Up At The Action Figure Museum
- Feb 2: Happy Birthday Twine Ball Man
- Jan 21: A Uniter, Not A Divider
- Jan 16: Hot Wax: Presidents For Sale
- Jan 11: The 7 Death Cars of Bonnie and Clyde