PA governor and citizens of Punxsutawney up early for Groundhog Day
Punxsutawney's 117th groundhog ritual will be from 6:30-8:30 am. Sunday. The annual trek to Gobbler's Knob begins at sunrise to view Punxsutawney Phil's weather forecast. For the first time, a Pennsylvania Governor, Ed Rendell, will be on hand, presiding over the solemn antics. It's only fair -- Phil traveled to Harrisburg on Jan. 21 and appeared in Rendell's inaugural parade.
The event has increased in popularity each year, power-boosted by the movie Groundhog Day, and an appearance on Oprah. Phil Beanie Babies are now sold by the Chamber of Commerce. The Jimmy Stewart Museum in nearby Indiana, PA, will open two hours earlier at 10 am Sunday, to accommodate groundhog overflow tourists.[02/01/2003]
- Woodland Ave., Punxsutawney, PA
- Southeast of town. Take Hwy 36 a quarter mile east of US 119, then turn right (south) on Woodland Ave. Drive for one mile. The road bends sharply to the left, then to the right. Gobblers Knob will be on the east side of the road, at the crest of the hill. Drive into the parking lot; the Knob will be on the right, in a little wooded hollow.
Latest from Trunkations, the RoadsideAmerica.com Blog
- Nov 30: Michael Delligatti, Father of the Big Mac (1918-2016)
- Nov 26: Spiderwebman II, We Hope
- Nov 22: Sleep Well, Button King (1930-2016)
- Nov 21: One Log House To Transcend Its One Loggedness
- Nov 14: We’ll Cross That Bridge When We… Oh Wait. Never Mind.
- Nov 7: Junior Banks for President