Volcano, Big Island, Hawaii: Pele's Cursed Tourist Rocks (Gone)
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Cursed Tourists Display
Visitor Tips and News About Pele's Cursed Tourist Rocks (Gone)
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Madame Pele, the volcano goddess, curses anyone who takes lava out of Hawaii. Inside the entrance building to the Kilauea Military Camp, which is inside Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, visitors can see a large display case filled with pieces of lava along with letters and "forgiveness gifts" from very sorry people who ignored the curse -- and paid the price.
This "tough love" display shows what can happen to those who take a lump of lava out of Hawaii as a souvenir. Don't you make the same mistake.
Also here: a guest book signed by President Eisenhower!
[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 12/21/2007]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Volcano Steam Vents, Volcano, Big Island, HI - < 1 mi.
- Thurston Lava Tube, Volcano, Big Island, HI - 2 mi.
- Raelian UFO Peace Park, Volcano, Big Island, HI - 5 mi.
- In the region: Lava Tree State Monument, Pahoa, Big Island, HI - 23 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
September 1, 2014
Hawaii Latest Tips and Stories
- Tiny Church, Kahaluu-Keauhou, Big Island, Hawaii
- The Painted Church, Captain Cook, Big Island, Hawaii
- King Kamehameha I Statue, Kapaau, Big Island, Hawaii
- King Kamehameha I Statue #2, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii
- Eternal Flame War Memorial, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Boy and the Boot Statue, Wellsville, Ohio
- Boy and the Boot Statue, Wausau, Wisconsin
- Feature: Museum of Aviation, Warner Robins, Georgia
- Popeye Statue, Siloam Springs, Arkansas
- Horse Drawn Steampunk, Elkridge, Maryland
Latest Visitor Tips