Bath, Michigan: Site of Worst School Massacre
The school was blown up by a crazed farmer in 1927. Its cupola remains as a memorial.
Bath School Memorial Park
- Main St., Bath, MI
- Bath School Memorial Park. Downtown, on the east side of Main St. just south of High St.
Site of Worst School Massacre
Visitor Tips and News About Site of Worst School Massacre
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Not to disparage the victims of the recent Virginia Tech massacre, but the true worst school massacre in US history happened on May 18, 1927. A farmer and school board member used explosives to destroy his farm buildings, and the consolidated school, in Bath, Michigan. Bath is just northeast of Lansing.
The explosions killed a total of 45 people, most of them children. A plaque and the original cupola from the school are located in a park in Bath.
[Don Fraysier, 04/29/2007]
May 30, 2016
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Michigan Latest Tips and Stories
- Giant Carved Statues, Syrup Queen, Vermontville, Michigan
- Chicken Statue, Niles, Michigan
- Tin Man Made of Scrap, Niles, Michigan
- The Worker Sculpture, Lansing, Michigan
- World's Largest Tire, Allen Park, Michigan
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Official Back Porch Ronald Reagan, Annapolis, Maryland
- Ghost Town Beehive Kilns: Frisco, Beaver County, Utah
- Two-Story Outhouse Possibly Used by Lincoln, Janesville, Wisconsin
- One Man, Two Headstones, Samaria, Idaho
- Feature: Rudolph Grotto and Wonder Cave, Rudolph, Wisconsin