Bath, Michigan: Site of Worst School MassacreThe school was blown up by a crazed farmer in 1927. Its cupola remains as a memorial.
Bath School Memorial Park
- Main St., Bath, MI
- Bath School Memorial Park. Downtown, on the east side of Main St. just south of High St.
Visitor Tips and News About Site of Worst School Massacre
Not to disparage the victims of the recent Virginia Tech massacre, but the true worst school massacre in US history happened on May 18, 1927. A farmer and school board member used explosives to destroy his farm buildings, and the consolidated school, in Bath, Michigan. Bath is just northeast of Lansing.
The explosions killed a total of 45 people, most of them children. A plaque and the original cupola from the school are located in a park in Bath.[Don Fraysier, 04/29/2007]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- "Sparty" the Spartan - World's Largest Free-Standing Ceramic Figure, East Lansing, MI - 6 mi.
- R.E. Olds Transportation Museum, Lansing, MI - 8 mi.
- Elsie the Cow - a Big Bull, Elsie, MI - 19 mi.
- In the region: Fake Carcasses, Giant Deer, Jerome, MI - 53 mi.