Toledo, Iowa: Butter Cow StatueA bronze cow pays tribute to the butter cow sculpted every year at the Iowa State Fair. See, because real butter would be too expensive to refrigerate as an outdoor sculpture FOREVER.
- S. County Rd, Toledo, IA
- On the west side of S. County Rd/US Hwy 63 just north of its intersection with US Hwy 30. Up on a hill, under a tree.
Visitor Tips and News About Butter Cow Statue
Paying homage to the Butter Cow Lady, also known as Norma "Duffy" Lyon, Tama-Toledo, Iowa has constructed a bronze "Butter Cow" sculpture in her honor.
The bronze statue is under a beautiful large oak tree behind the local Big T restaurant. Pioneer Hybrids seed corn facility is behind the cow.[Aaron Tomlinson, 07/24/2007]
The late Butter Cow Lady was born in Toledo. She sat in a cooler and sculpted a life-size 400-lb. butter cow for the Iowa State Fair every year until 2006. There's a display case dedicated to BCL at the town library on High St. We're not exactly sure how a bronze version conveys the fragility and creamy goodness of her work...
Nearby Offbeat Places
- The Big Treehouse, Marshalltown, IA - 14 mi.
- World's Second Largest Collection of Salt and Pepper Shakers, Traer, IA - 15 mi.
- Matchstick Marvels Museum, Gladbrook, IA - 15 mi.
- In the region: Iowa's Largest Frying Pan, Brandon, IA - 37 mi.