Smithfield, North Carolina: Shadow Hawk - Backyard Western TownA replica Wild West town built by former Hollywood actor Bill Drake in his large back yard.
- 494 Bonnie Ave., Smithfield, NC
- I-95 exit 93 onto Brodgen Rd. Eight miles east to Brogden School Rd. 0.3 miles to Bonnie Ave. Drake's home is at the end, in the cul-de-sac.
- Private home. Prefer afternoon visits. (Call to verify)
- Donations accepted.
Visitor Tips and News About Shadow Hawk - Backyard Western Town
We started thinking the GPS had the wrong information after we started driving through a neighborhood. But what awaited us was well worth the confusion. The guy that owns it and maintains this backyard western world was in the saloon, where he talked to us about his books and precious acting career. Very cool place.[Amanda Godwin, 06/22/2014]
A Western town in some friendly guy's backyard. Many of the buildings are props (front only), but others are full-blown. An excellent setting for low-budget movies or videos.
Our kids got a kick out of the buildings and the humor in the signage. It looked like they might rent horses as well.[eric schansberg, 07/03/2010]
Backyard western town. Bill was home and graciously took us around the town, explaining how he built everything, showed us pictures from his acting career, told us about a movie he is currently making and other movies and shows that were filmed there. Very interesting man and extremely nice.[Terri Dunn, 08/01/2009]
Visited last weekend. They are filming another movie starting next weekend. Owner Bill Drake is a talent. He does with plywood what you usually see with concrete -- fabulous![Ric Carter, 05/05/2009]
Our Retreads motorcycle club contacted Bill and he invited us to his [backyard western] town. He is a very innovative and talented man. He built this town himself and you can image that an old town might have looked very much like this one. Bill was an excellent host and we enjoyed his town.[mike lane, 01/07/2009]
May 2009 - Photo added.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Snowball Building, Smithfield, NC - 8 mi.
- Ava Gardner Museum, Smithfield, NC - 8 mi.
- Defender of the Southland Statue, Bentonville, NC - 9 mi.
- In the region: World's Tallest Replica of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, Wilson, NC - 28 mi.