Greer, South Carolina: Our Lady of VietnamA statue of Mary, built by Vietnamese Catholic refugees in South Carolina.
- Hwy 14, Greer, SC
- Several miles north of town, on the east side of Hwy 14, opposite Skyland Elementary School. Roughly 12 miles south of I-26 exit 1, or 12 miles north of I-85 exit 56.
Visitor Tips and News About Our Lady of Vietnam
Just driving down SC 14 and saw this Vietnamese Catholic Shrine on the right, beautiful site, very large statue of Mary, strange to see in this largely Protestant Bible-belt area, sign says it was built by Vietnamese Catholic Refugees in South Carolina. Catholic Diocese of Charleston, Is very touching to see this there, what they must of went through to escape persecution and oppression, if you know anything about the Vietcong you would understand how thankful they must be....[B Carter, 04/18/2010]
When it was built in 1991, it was the only shrine to Mary in all of South Carolina.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Hollywild Animal Park - Star Petting Zoo, Wellford, SC - 7 mi.
- Old Time Esso Gas Station, Landrum, SC - 11 mi.
- Morris the Wooden Toy Horse, Tryon, NC - 11 mi.
- In the region: Biltmore Estate - World's Largest Privately Owned Home, Asheville, NC - 39 mi.