Harpers Crossroads, North Carolina: Devil's Tramping GroundNothing grows in this Satan-favored circle in the forest, feared since the 1700s.
- Devil's Tramping Ground Rd, Harpers Crossroads, NC
- US 421 South from Siler City to Hwy 902. Go six miles west to Harpers Crossroads, then turn north on Devil's Tramping Ground Road (NC SR 1100). The spot will be on the left side of the road. There is a small "pull out" where you can park your vehicle.
Visitor Tips and News About Devil's Tramping Ground
The Devil's Tramping Ground consists of a barren circle located in the middle of a rich, mature, North Carolina forest. Legend has it that the circle has been there for centuries. Nothing will grow in the circle -- no one dare spend the night there -- for local folks believe it's the Devil's nightly tramping ground.[B.K. Simerson, 03/04/2001]
Greg Brown snapped this view of the spot that's captured the locals' fevered imagination since the 1700s...
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Taxidermy Hall of Fame of North Carolina Creation Museum, Southern Pines, NC - 29 mi.
- Clyde Jones' Critter Crossing, Bynum, NC - 23 mi.
- Richard Petty Bronze Statue, Randleman, NC - 23 mi.
- In the region: Barney the Bear, Fort Bragg, NC - 42 mi.