Silver Spring, Maryland: National Museum of Health and Medicine
- 2500 Linden Lane, Silver Spring, MD
- South of I-495 Beltway, exit 31 south onto Hwy 97, turn right/west onto Seminary Rd, which becomes Linden Lane. Turn left into US Army Forest Glen Annex.
- Daily 10 am - 5:30 pm except Dec. 25 (Call to verify)
- Free, donations welcome.
- RA Rates:
- The Best
A great medical museum of arcane specimens. Where else can you see the bullet that killed Abraham Lincoln and a human hairball? Nowhere else, that's where. Roadsideamerica.com Report...
"A Hello to Arms" - Our terrible swift tour of Civil War body parts. Major General Daniel Sickles lost a leg during the Battle of Gettysburg when a cannonball struck. See the smashed leg bone at the National Museum of Health and Medicine. Roadsideamerica.com Report...
National Museum of Health and Medicine: There's only one collection in the world that showcases both a human hairball and the bullet that killed Abraham Lincoln -- and it's also an official American National Historic Landmark. [09/25/2011] Complete Story...
Visitor Tips and News About National Museum of Health and Medicine
The museum will close its doors after April 3 and move to a new building in Silver Spring, Maryland, by the Autumn of 2011. At least that's the plan. The move will get the museum off of its current Army base and make it more accessible to the public. The museum's curators have pledged that its star exhibits, such as President Lincoln's death bullet and the amputated leg of Civil War General Sickles, will remain on display -- but something always gets lost or broken in a move, so if you want to see your favorite tumor or freak-in-a-jar, you'd better visit this week.[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 03/30/2011]
The National Museum of Health and Medicine, Washington, DC, has added a small exhibit explaining how DNA testing was used to identify the occupant of the Tomb of the Vietnam Unknown.... [06/27/1999] Complete News Story
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Mormon Temple - Fairy Tale Rockets, Kensington, MD - < 1 mi.
- Longest Single Span Escalator in the Western Hemisphere, Silver Spring, MD - 2 mi.
- Big Hand Releasing Birds, Silver Spring, MD - 2 mi.
- Sonny Bono Memorial Park, Washington, DC - 7 mi.