Nelson, Nevada: Tour a "Ghost Mine"Abandoned mine in an abandoned, and formerly lawless, town.
Historical Techatticup Mining Camp
- Hwy 165, Nelson, NV
- The Historical Techatticup Mining Camp. Full tank of gas a must. US 95 ten miles south of Boulder City, then east onto Hwy 165. (Look for the bullet pocked historical marker by the road.) Follow about 20 miles, through the mostly-abandoned town of Nelson, and look for what looks like an old Texaco station on your left. Roads are narrow and winding; keep to just under the speed limit.
- Call for reservations (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About Tour a "Ghost Mine"
Nevada is dotted with many ghost towns, but where else can you find a ghost MINE? The Historical Techatticup Mining Camp in Nelson, Nevada (about a 1 hour drive from Boulder City), offers an entertaining one-hour tour of the mine, complete with full detail about the local history of the area when it was known as Nelson's Landing, one of the largest ports on the Colorado, and a town so lawless, many sheriffs refused to go there! Reservations are recommended, and there is a two person minimum, so call for an appointment ahead of time. The mine is part of Colorado River Tours. Because of the physical nature of the area, you'll have to sign a release form before you go on the tour. Also, the buildings were used for the film "3,000 Miles to Graceland", in the scene where the Lucky Strike gas station blows up (Props from the movie can be seen in a barn on the grounds). Canoe and kayak tours also available.[Steven F. Scharff, 01/26/2003]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Tour A Gold Mine Still Gold-Lined, Eldorado Canyon, NV - < 1 mi.
- Statue of a Belatedly Appreciated Outhouse Cleaner, Boulder City, NV - 19 mi.
- St. Jude's Ranch For Children Car Museum, Boulder City, NV - 19 mi.
- In the region: Hawaiian King Kamehameha Statue, Las Vegas, NV - 34 mi.