Garden City, Kansas: World's Largest HairballFound in a the stomach of a cow that was slaughtered at a nearby meat-packing plant. It weighed 55 pounds at the time -- it was wet then, but it's drier and lighter now -- and is 38 inches around.
Finney County Historical Museum
- 403 S. 4th St., Garden City, KS
- Finney County Historical Museum. On the south edge of town, four blocks east of US Hwy 83 and four blocks south of US Hwy 50. On the southwest corner of S. 4th St. and E. Finnup Drive, next to the Zoo.
- M-Sa 10-5 (1-5 off-season), Su 1-5 (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Visitor Tips and News About World's Largest Hairball
We haven't been there in years, but they used to have a basketball sized hairball that came from a slaughtered cow in a little museum in Garden City.[annette landwehr, 04/29/2003]
Found in a the stomach of a cow that was slaughtered at a nearby meat-packing plant. It weighed 55 pounds at the time -- it was wet then, but it's drier and lighter now -- and is 38 inches around. In competition for the World's Largest title with other reported big hairballs in Webster, South Dakota and East Lansing, Michigan.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- World's Largest Outdoor Municipal Concrete Swimming Pool, Garden City, KS - < 1 mi.
- House of the "In Cold Blood" Murders, Holcomb, KS - 7 mi.
- Cement Teepee, Satanta, KS - 37 mi.
- In the region: Dorothy's House and Land of Oz, Liberal, KS - 64 mi.