Hooppole, Illinois: Rolle Bolle RosaryA giant rosary laid out along the ground, made from the balls and pucks used in the game Rolle Bolle.
St. Mary of the Fields Catholic Church
- St. Mary's Rd, Hooppole, IL
- St Mary of the Fields Catholic Church. From Hwy 78 in Hooppole, turn west at Main St. for about two miles and watch for the signs to the church. It is down a mile-long gravel road.
- free, donation at church.
Visitor Tips and News About Rolle Bolle Rosary
My great-grandfather emigrated from Belgium in 1900 though Ellis Island. As a kid, I played with my grandfather's rolle bolle. I took my 82-year old mother there to see the rosary; it's worth the trip if your family knew what rolle bolle was. The church was staffed and there was a wedding being set-up while we were there.[Hammy, 10/14/2011]
The Belgian immigrants of this tiny town have created a giant rosary made from the balls and pucks used in the game Rolle Bolle. The sporting equipment was owned by now-deceased congregants. The rosary is laid out in a heart shape in a well-manicured garden setting on the grounds of the St Mary of the Fields Catholic Church. A gift shop offers tee-shirts and is open, unstaffed. Purchases are made on the honor system.[Dona Kight, 06/07/2003]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Birthplace of Ronald Reagan, Tampico, IL - 11 mi.
- Tug Fest - East Side of Mississippi River Tug-of-war, Port Byron, IL - 20 mi.
- Tug Fest - West Side of Mississippi River Tug-of-War, LeClaire, IA - 21 mi.
- In the region: Raven's Grin Inn, Mount Carroll, IL - 40 mi.