Ellinwood, Kansas: The Underground
Ellinwood's two-block-long underground was a popular spot for illicit commerce, drinking, and gunfights back in the good ol' days.
- E. Santa Fe Blvd, Ellinwood, KS
- The stairs leading to The Underground are downtown, on the northeast corner of US Hwy 56/E. Santa Fe Blvd and Main St.
- M-Sa 9am - 5 pm, Su noon - 5 pm. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Visitor Tips and News About The Underground
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Underground city located in Ellinwood, KS. A tour of the underground is very interesting and enjoyable. At one time the underground ran for two blocks on both sides of the downtown area of Ellinwood. You could enter on one side cross the street underground and come up in another store. During prohibition there were 11 open saloons operating underground. Today you can view an old barber shop complete with bullet holes in the wall from past arguments, a bath house, livery stable and more. An interesting place to stop and tour.
[Nina Flick, 06/23/2003]
June 29, 2016
Kansas Latest Tips and Stories
- Gallery of Presidential Also-Rans, Norton, Kansas
- Stonehenge Junior, Wichita, Kansas
- Restored 1940s Sinclair Gasoline Station, Norton, Kansas
- Restored 1930s Conoco Gas Station, Norton, Kansas
- Cookie Jar Museum, Emporia, Kansas
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Union School: One School for Two States, College Corner, Ohio
- World's Tallest Indian, Skowhegan, Maine
- Toy and Action Figure Museum, Pauls Valley, Oklahoma
- Doofy Johnny Appleseed Statue, New Market, Virginia
- Birthplace of Walmart, Bentonville, Arkansas