Ellinwood, Kansas: The Underground
Ellinwood's two-block-long underground was a popular spot for illicit commerce, drinking, and gunfights back in the good ol' days.
- E. Santa Fe Blvd, Ellinwood, KS
- The stairs leading to The Underground are downtown, on the northeast corner of US Hwy 56/E. Santa Fe Blvd and Main St.
- Tours by appt. only. M-Sa 9am - 5 pm, Su noon - 5 pm. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Visitor Tips and News About The Underground
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Be sure to call and make an appointment if you plan to visit this one! We were disappointed when we showed up and found out the tours run by appointment only. There aren't visible stairs from the street. You have to go into the Wolf Hotel to get to the Underground. [TX Visitor, 06/30/2016]
Underground city located in Ellinwood, KS. A tour of the underground is very interesting and enjoyable. At one time the underground ran for two blocks on both sides of the downtown area of Ellinwood. You could enter on one side cross the street underground and come up in another store. During prohibition there were 11 open saloons operating underground. Today you can view an old barber shop complete with bullet holes in the wall from past arguments, a bath house, livery stable and more. An interesting place to stop and tour.
[Nina Flick, 06/23/2003]
March 24, 2017
Kansas Latest Tips and Stories
- Feature: Bowl Plaza: America's Most Artistic Giant Toilet, Lucas, Kansas
- Feature: Political Art of M.T. Liggett, Mullinville, Kansas
- Kansas State Hospital Cemetery, Osawatomie, Kansas
- Ornate Box Turtle Capital in Caldwell, Caldwell, Kansas
- Truckhenge, Topeka, Kansas
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Camas Prairie Railroad Bridges, Craigmont, Idaho
- Mac the Moose, World's Largest, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
- Feature: Museum of Physical Security, Nicholasville, Kentucky
- World's Largest Hockey Stick and Puck, Duncan, British Columbia
- Manis Mastodon, Sequim, Washington