Ellinwood, Kansas: The Underground
Ellinwood's two-block-long underground was a popular spot for illicit commerce, drinking, and gunfights back in the good ol' days.
- E. Santa Fe Blvd, Ellinwood, KS
- The stairs leading to The Underground are downtown, on the northeast corner of US Hwy 56/E. Santa Fe Blvd and Main St.
- M-Sa 9am - 5 pm, Su noon - 5 pm. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Visitor Tips and News About The Underground
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Underground city located in Ellinwood, KS. A tour of the underground is very interesting and enjoyable. At one time the underground ran for two blocks on both sides of the downtown area of Ellinwood. You could enter on one side cross the street underground and come up in another store. During prohibition there were 11 open saloons operating underground. Today you can view an old barber shop complete with bullet holes in the wall from past arguments, a bath house, livery stable and more. An interesting place to stop and tour.
[Nina Flick, 06/23/2003]
May 31, 2016
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Kansas Latest Tips and Stories
- Dorothy Gale's Tornado Horror: Inspired Oz, Irving, Kansas
- Mushroom Rock State Park, Marquette, Kansas
- Dalton Death Alley, Coffeyville, Kansas
- Car Cut in Half, Edgerton, Kansas
- Highway Bear, Stilwell, Kansas
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Arnold Ice Caves, Bend, Oregon
- Vent Haven: Ventriloquist Museum, Fort Mitchell, Kentucky
- Retro Foodliner Sign, Warsaw, Indiana
- Art Yard of Dead Wood, Fillmore, Utah
- Mosaic Dragon Sculpture, Nashville, Tennessee