Jefferson City, Missouri: Missouri State Penitentiary Tours
Open from 1836-2004, dubbed "the bloodiest 47 acres in America." Visitors on guided tours get to see the prison dungeon and gas chamber.
- 701 E. Capitol St., Jefferson City, MO
- US Hwy 54 into the city. Turn east onto US Hwy 50/63 (Rex Whitton Expy) for five blocks, then turn left (north) onto Monroe St. Drive five blocks, turn right onto Capitol Ave., then drive four blocks to the prison.
- Days and tour times vary; call ahead. (Call to verify)
- Adults $12.00 to $35.00
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Prison closing may spawn museum and death chamber tour
Visitor Tips and News About Missouri State Penitentiary Tours
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
In Jefferson City, Missouri, the Missouri State Penitentiary Redevelopment Commission is crafting grand plans for the 47-acre penal facility, once the largest in the U.S. The proposal includes transforming one of the old buildings -- the prison first opened in 1836 -- into a historical prison museum, and conducting tours of cells, the convict shoe factory, and Missouri's gas chamber.... [12/20/2003] Complete News Story
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
October 21, 2014
Missouri Latest Tips and Stories
- World's Largest Rooster, Branson, Missouri
- Volkswagen Beetle Hydrant Crash, Joplin, Missouri
- World's Largest Ball of Twine, Branson, Missouri
- Glass Labyrinth - Outdoor Maze of Glass, Kansas City, Missouri
- Longest Footbridge for Trainspotters, Springfield, Missouri
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Western Mining Museum, Helper, Utah
- Elvis Shrine Inside Trophy Business Showroom, Hartford, Connecticut
- Giant Pepsi Can, Worthing, South Dakota
- Aztec Crash Site, Aztec, New Mexico
- Dolphin Tree Carving, Blowing Cave, Kennebunkport, Maine
Latest Visitor Tips