Jefferson City, Missouri: Missouri State Penitentiary Tours
At one time it was the largest prison in the U.S. Visitors are required to wear hard hats, and get to see the prison dungeon and gas chamber.
- 701 E. Capitol St., Jefferson City, MO
- US Hwy 54 into the city. Turn east onto US Hwy 50/63 (Rex Whitton Expy) for five blocks, then turn left (north) onto Monroe St. Drive five blocks, turn right onto Capitol Ave., then drive four blocks to the prison.
- Sa only; by appt. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Prison closing may spawn museum and death chamber tour
Visitor Tips and News About Missouri State Penitentiary Tours
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
In Jefferson City, Missouri, the Missouri State Penitentiary Redevelopment Commission is crafting grand plans for the 47-acre penal facility, once the largest in the U.S. The proposal includes transforming one of the old buildings -- the prison first opened in 1836 -- into a historical prison museum, and conducting tours of cells, the convict shoe factory, and Missouri's gas chamber.... [12/20/2003] Complete News Story
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 19, 2013
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Missouri Latest Tips and Stories
- Totem Pole Trading Post, Rolla, Missouri
- Concrete Pink Gorilla, Branson, Missouri
- Large Chair, Old Mines, Missouri
- Lambert's - Home of Throwed Rolls, Ozark, Missouri
- Feature: The Space Museum, Bonne Terre, Missouri
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Center Of The Universe, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Russell's Travel Center, Glenrio, New Mexico
- Giant Campbell's Soup Can, Fort Collins, Colorado
- Feature: Dungeons & Dragons Park, Carbondale, Illinois
- Suspension Bridge, San Diego, California
Latest Visitor Tips