Carthage, Missouri: Red Oak II - Transplanted TownLowell Davis, collectible-maker, has moved an entire abandoned Missouri town to his property so that he can hang out in it.
- Rd 130, Carthage, MO
- Northeast of Carthage on Route 66/Hwy 96. Turn north onto CR 120 (or CR 130) and drive around a mile to Kafir Rd. Turn left (or right). The entrance is between CR 120 and 130, on the south side.
Visitor Tips and News About Red Oak II - Transplanted Town
What a pleasant surprise. We decided to take a look at Red Oak II. Do take time to admire the architecture.[James The Route Pro, 06/19/2013]
Red Oak II was the coolest part of our Route 66 trip across Missouri.[Chuck, 07/20/2010]
Although he is known around the world for his collector plates and farm-life figurines, Lowell Davis has spent over a decade working on a slightly larger canvas.
Lowell Davis has moved an entire pioneer Missouri town from its original site, 25 miles away, and reassembled it as Red Oak II. Heralded by roadside Burma Shave-style signs, the buildings there have been preserved as a credible replica of a crossroads town, circa 1929, and include an antique Phillips 66 gas station, a general store, a blacksmith's shop, a feed store, a town hall, a one-room school house, an old country church, and a cemetery.[Fred Billingsley, 08/01/2004]
The town also includes a streetcar diner, Belle Starr's home, and the oldest surviving Standard Oil gas station from Route 66.