Flushing, Michigan: Smiley Face Water Tower
Nicknamed "Kick-boy-Face" by Flushing's wayward youth, and made a brief appearance in the film Natural Born Killers.
Smiley Face Water Tower
Visitor Tips and News About Smiley Face Water Tower
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
There's a Smiley Face water tower in Flushing MI. It got painted that way around the Bicentennial and occasionally gets repainted with the same design. For reasons I'm not sure of, it got nicknamed "Kick-boy-Face" by the local early punk rockers and it kinda stuck. It has a drainage pipe that runs top to bottom and it makes an awesome echo if you yell into it.
Also, you may find it interesting that there's one in Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers. In the scene where Mallory first runs off with Mickey, her father (Rodney Dangerfield) goes to the window and starts ranting about what he's gonna do to Mickey and there's a big ol' smiley tower plain as day outside the window.
[Dan McGraw, 12/15/2004]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 19, 2014
Michigan Latest Tips and Stories
- Allegan County Old Jail Museum, Allegan, Michigan
- Big Steer and Cool Moose, Almont, Michigan
- Detroit Chimera Graffiti Mural, Detroit, Michigan
- Pioneer Mother: a Mom-ument, Clare, Michigan
- Statue of Pope John Paul II, Hamtramck, Michigan
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Bailey Art Museum - Robots of Clayton Bailey, Crockett, California
- Big Moose Country Store, Hoosick, New York
- Confederate Nuclear Missile, Cordele, Georgia
- Grave of Rocky's Adrian, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- World's Largest Functioning Fire Hydrant, Las Vegas, Nevada
Latest Visitor Tips