Road trip news, rants, and ruminations by the Editors of RoadsideAmerica.com
February 6, 2010
It seemed like a good idea at the time. A hospital in Raton, New Mexico, that specializes in treating injured New Mexico miners would feature a statue of a miner, nearly 10 feet tall, sculpted by a New Mexico artist. Even better, because of the sculptor’s “openness” style, the statue would cost $20,000 less than a traditional bronze statue of the same size.
The statue was placed on its pedestal outside of the entrance of the hospital in December 2009. And, according to the local newspaper, some of the miners do not like it at all.
“It looks like Robo Cop all shot up,” the Trinidad Times Independent quotes one miner, who also serves on the hospital’s board. “It’s not my style to make something solid,” the same newspaper quotes the artist. Sketches of the statue were reportedly seen and approved by the town back in 2007, so it’s not clear why it’s causing such a fuss now.
We’ve seen the Anatomical Swiss Cheese style in other pieces of public art, and we often find it more interesting than the predictable solids of Baked Potato Realism. For years we’ve made detours to peer through transparent people.
But then again, we admit we haven’t toiled in mines, been hurt, and found ourselves wheeled past an oversized cyborg with large chunks of its body missing.
RoboCop Miner Statue
Miners' Colfax Medical Center
- 203 Hospital Drive, Raton, NM
- I-25 exit 450, drive north on US Hwy 64, then immediately turn left onto Hwy 555/York Canyon Rd. Take the first left onto Hospital Drive and drive south to the end of the street, in lot between Holiday Inn Express and the Miner's Colfax Medical Center.
One Response to “RoboCop Miner Statue: Open To Criticism”
- Hats On To Stonewall Jackson, Defender Of Lexington
- Beefcake of Roads: New Home For World’s Largest Muscleman
- Join the Battleship NJ Gun Crew (Look Out, Philly!)
- Muffler Men History: Moving Giants
- The State vs. The Minister’s Tree House: Earthly Codes
- Saloon Cowboy: A 21st Century Muffler Man