Road trip news, rants, and ruminations by the Editors of RoadsideAmerica.com
November 18, 2008
Saturday, November 22, is the 45th anniversary of the assassination of John F. Kennedy. In remembrance, Wayne Lensing is giving the public a special viewing — of the shoes worn by Jack Ruby when he shot Kennedy’s assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald.
Wayne is the guiding force behind Historic Auto Attractions in Roscoe, Illinois, and a self-confessed JFK buff. His oddly-named attraction, which is in fact a top-of-the-line pop culture/history museum, has an entire section devoted to JFK assassination artifacts. The shoes, which Wayne purchased at an auction in March, will be permanently added to the museum’s collection next year. Wayne, however, wanted the public to see them on the assassination anniversary (although not the Oswald assassination anniversary, which is two days later).
We visited with Wayne this past summer, and he showed us the shoes (which were just sitting on a shelf in his office), as well as the hat and jacket that Ruby was wearing, which Wayne had also acquired for his museum. He bid on the assassination gun, too, but he didn’t get it. In fact, no one did. “My God, I’d love to have that for my museum,” he told us. “But it’s got a price tag on it of at least $1 million. That’s a lot of zeroes.”
Sections: Attraction News Comments Off
Historic Auto Attractions
- 13825 Metric Drive, Roscoe, IL
- I-39/I-90 exit 3. West on Rockton Rd, then after one mile look for the small oval Historic Auto Attractions sign on the right. Turn right onto Metric Drive. At the end of the street, on the right.
- Summer Tu-Sa 10 am - 5pm, Su 11 am - 4 pm (Call to verify)
- Adults $12, Seniors $10, Students (ages 6-15) $7, Under 6 free
- RA Rates:
- The Best
Discussion is closed.
- Hats On To Stonewall Jackson, Defender Of Lexington
- Beefcake of Roads: New Home For World’s Largest Muscleman
- Join the Battleship NJ Gun Crew (Look Out, Philly!)
- Muffler Men History: Moving Giants
- The State vs. The Minister’s Tree House: Earthly Codes
- Saloon Cowboy: A 21st Century Muffler Man