Restored 1929 Route 66 Gas Station
Just down the road from the Devil's Rope/Route 66 Museum stands this vintage service station, circa 1929. It was the first Phillips Petroleum filling station opened in Texas, and operated for over 50 years. The station was renovated by a local Route 66 preservation group in 1992, claimed to be the first old gas station restored along the "Mother Road," and continues to be maintained.
There are several nice touches. The pumps are painted in the bright orange color of Phillips 66, as is an old tank truck parked adjacent. There's an old raised vehicle platform, also painted orange, for mechanic work.
On the station building itself, the windows and glass on the door are painted fakes. Locals probably got tired of replacing broken glass...
It's been decades since it pumped a drop of gasoline, but the landmark is a required stop for Route 66 pilgrims.