Austin, Texas Attractions
Unusual landmarks, museums, roadside attractions, and hidden wonders in Austin and the surrounding area. State capital, college town, and new tech hub that embraces its weirdness, with an impressive spray of oddball public art, much of it DIY. Little museums cater to the non-normal. Also: urban bats!
Sights for Oddball Excursions
Vince Hannemann's backyard folk art environment was built out of cast-offs because he thought it was fun.
Monsters, UFOs, ghosts, Bigfoot -- this small-but-enthusiastic museum in a gift shop covers it all. Don't miss the frozen missing link, and the sideshow theater performance.
"Looking Up" was sculpted by Tom Friedman to appear as if made out of thousands of mashed-up aluminum roasting pans.
Blues guitar demigod Stevie Ray Vaughan died in a helicopter crash in 1990. Three years later Austin erected a larger-than-life bronze statue of him.
A light bulbs-only specialty store is topped by a smartly dressed man with a classic "IDEA" light bulb over his head. Surely they light him at night!
In and Around Austin
Choice field reports and tips. Or check out: Complete list of Texas attractions.
- Austin: Museum of the Weird
- Austin: Statue of the Cannon Lady
- Austin: Jackalope Bar - Ride a Jackalope [tips]
- Austin: Larger-Than-Life Willie Nelson [tips]
- Austin: The Tejano Monument [tips]
- Austin: World's Largest Urban Bat Colony
- Austin: Statue of Stevie Ray Vaughan
- Austin: Austin Toy Museum [tips]
- Austin: Mural: "Hi, How Are You?" [tips]
- Austin: World's Largest Longhorn [tips]
- Austin: Peter Pan Mini Golf [tips]
- Austin: 50-Foot-Tall Pile of Boats
- Austin: Moonlight Tower: Dazed and Confused
- Austin: Giant Olmec Head Replica [tips]
- Austin: LBJ Museum, With Robot [tips]
- Austin: Museum of Natural & Artificial Ephemerata [tips]
- Austin: Giant Fork with Attachments [tips]
- Austin: Taco Maria Statue [tips]
- Austin: Chicken S**t Bingo [tips]
- Austin: Giant Spider Sculpture [tips]
- Austin: The Big One: Spitting Fish