Monument to Last Shot of the Civil War
Waynesville, North Carolina
Erected by a local Confederate group in 1923, the monument marks the spot, according to its plaque, where "the last shot of the War Between the States" was fired on May 6, 1865 -- a claim that was almost immediately disputed by other "last shot" spots. The monument was originally surrounded by Sulphur Springs Park, but the park is now gone and the monument stands in the corner of someone's yard.
This particular Last Shot was deemed worthy of a monument because it was fired by a Rebel, a point of Southern pride.